Thread: Strange WiFi quirk

Beans

Strange WiFi quirk

Hello all,

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop, and I'm running into some troubles with connection to wireless networks. When I am using my laptop without a monitor, the wifi is fine but as soon as I attach my laptop to a monitor and close the laptop (so that my desktop will become available on the monitor) I get disconnected from the wifi network I was previously on. What could be the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Strange WiFi quirk

If I was the maker of laptops and I was worried that people would not buy my product because of it having a low battery usage, I would want to give as much life to the battery as possible. Which would mean switching off the wireless card when the lid was closed. What do you think?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

That makes sense, but why would that be a concern if my laptop is plugged into an electrical power outlet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Could also be heat. A lot of heat dissipates through the keyboard on some models.

Beans

If I remember correctly, it is the default behaviour in Power Management that the system goes to suspend as soon as the lid is closed. Unless I had changed settings earlier and forgot, I had to change this behaviour manually.

Please goto System Settings > Power, and make sure the action on "When the lid is closed" is set to "Do nothing" as shown below -

Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags