Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Update

Beans

Firefox Update

Today, when I check my Firefox's add-ons manager > plugins it said that my Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 are Vulnerable. So I click the Update Now button.
    And it leads me to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT (according to the http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...shoot-problems), I required to choose the tar.gz ... is this RIGHTor NOT?
    If RIGHT, after I restart the machine > launch the Firefox > re-check the plugins ... it still said that my Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 is Vulnerable and required to Update.
    Please advice ... thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Firefox Update

AFAIK it's a mozilla/firefox site problem/bug.
    For some reason, if the version you have isn't the latest, which you would get with windows/mac/google-chrome, then it reports that it is out of date.
    Just keep your system up to date and the flash plugin should be as well.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

SORRY ... currently I used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The version of Ubuntu doesn't matter in this case, as flash is the same on all versions.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Oooohh! But it has been installed yesterday.
    Now, what should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you mean you installed 12.04 yesterday?
    Then see if you have any updates available in the update manager, and if so update them.
    (If it says a new version of Ubuntu is available at the top, you can ignore that)

As far as running flash above 11.2, you would need to install google-chrome, or add a ppa that will add the chrome used pepperflash plugin, but that only works for chromium.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/insta...layer-for.html

Other than that, there's not much you can do, as adobe stopped building flash for linux(except for google's pepperflash plugin), and will only offer support for version 11.2 (and maybe older versions) for linux.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

I installed the update yesterday ...
    1. click the Update Now button >

2. it leads me to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT
    3. according to the http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...shoot-problems, I should choose the tar.gz file and download it.
    4. extract it, and copied it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The latest Flash version available for Linux is 11.2.202.310. This version is outdated (latest is something like 11.8 or so), but Adobe doesn't support Flash any longer on Linux, except for security updates. These affect the right-most version numbers. The plugin check will always complain it's outdated.

There's no need to go to adobe.com to download a new flash player. The package flashplugin-installer from the Ubuntu repository installs the flash player automatically and keeps you updated as far as still possible. Just install the regular Ubuntu updates and your flash will be updated too.

Beans

Thank you for all advice given
    But I had already download the tar.gz file, download, extract and copied to
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder.
    Now, how can I delete the .iso file?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You never mentioned a .iso file.

You can delete any files that you installed manually. Just make sure flashplugin-installer is installed. You can install it with sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer or, if you lready had it and overwrote it in your attempt to install te latest version, reinstall it with sudo apt-get --reinstall install flashplugin-installer. Shouldn't really be necessary as you replaced the latest version from one source with the latest version from another source, but flashplugin-installer doesn't directly store the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but via a few symlinks. So I'm not sure it will be automatically overwritten a the next update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast