Thread: Keep programs running after i log out

Beans

Keep programs running after i log out

Hi! Is there a way to keep your programs running after i log out of the current user?
    I am thinking like in Windows, when you log out.. and log back in, all your programs are still open.

Is there a reason why linux/ubuntu have not this enabled? -Maby security reasons?

Beans

Re: Keep programs running after i log out

I'm assuming you are using Unity. Open up the "dconf editor" then navigate to org-->gnome-->gnome-session. Then click check the auto-save-session option. Close the window and that should do the trick!

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose

EDIT: Thinking about it. That won't keep your programs running persay but reopen the applications that were running prior to logging out.

I believe if you switch users using the user switcher (Guest session, etc.) that will give you the desired result. Also the alternative would be just lock the screen when leaving the computer.

Screenshot from 2013-09-23 10:26:09.png
    Last edited by Kirboosy; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Correction to advice
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Do you actually want them to keep running, or just restart when you login again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geirmash View Post
    Hi! Is there a way to keep your programs running after i log out of the current user?
    I am thinking like in Windows, when you log out.. and log back in, all your programs are still open.

Is there a reason why linux/ubuntu have not this enabled? -Maby security reasons?
    If you want to preserve the state of running applications (as opposed to just restarting them when you login again), I think on Linux hibernation might be the most trouble free way for you, provided your system hardware supports it. Hibernation (like the same thing in Windows) restores the entire system to exactly the state it was in when you invoked it, including the state of various daemons and servers. I think only the kernel is started as a fresh instance.

Quote Originally Posted by geirmash View Post

Maybe because Linux isn't Windows?

In 13 years of supporting Windows, I never saw that behavior except when using RDP or similar.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    In 13 years of supporting Windows, I never saw that behavior except when using RDP or similar.
    I believe he is refering to the "Fast User Switching" that can be found in Windows.

Anyways, geirmash were you able to find your answer?

~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss