Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thunar slow as molasses

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Thunar slow as molasses

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    ... Xfce 4.8 came with Xubuntu 12.04, but whether or not I can run Xfce 4.10 on 12.04 is what I need to look into...
    Yes you can, Buntu Bunny. In a terminal run the following:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Yes you can, Buntu Bunny....
    Slickymaster, thank you! Am I correct that this will simply update Xfce? IOW, I don't have to uninstall 4.8 to upgrade to 4.10?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Slickymaster, thank you! Am I correct that this will simply update Xfce? IOW, I don't have to uninstall 4.8 to upgrade to 4.10?
    Yes Buntu Bunny, your assumption is correct. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out the transparency issue with the icons in your desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Yes Buntu Bunny, your assumption is correct. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out the transparency issue with the icons in your desktop.
    Slickymaster, thank you so much. I cannot tell you how relieved I am to have your help.

I have successfully upgraded to Xfce 4.10 and Thunar 1.6.3, and can report

Code:
    $ ls -la ~/.config/Thunar/
    total 20
    drwx------  2 buntubunny buntubunny 4096 Sep 25 10:12 .
    drwx------ 57 buntubunny buntubunny 4096 Sep 24 11:28 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 buntubunny buntubunny  103 Sep 25 10:09 accels.scm
    -rw-rw-r--  1 buntubunny buntubunny 1262 Sep 24 21:52 thunarrc
    -rw-------  1 buntubunny buntubunny  381 Sep 25 10:12 uca.xml
    However, the other problems still exist:
    • desktop icon text background transparent
    • cannot change wallpaper
    • Unity Settings pops up if I right click desktop and select "Change Desktop Background", (rather than Xfce's Settings Manager).

To quote Laura Ingalls Wilder,

If it isn't chickens, it's feathers.

Beans
    Distro

Another clue. Nautilus is opening my desktop folders, even though Thunar is selected in my preferred applications. Thunar opens folders from panels or menus. Is there a way to disable Nautilus and let Thunar handle the desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Another clue. Nautilus is opening my desktop folders, even though Thunar is selected in my preferred applications. Thunar opens folders from panels or menus. Is there a way to disable Nautilus and let Thunar handle the desktop?
    Buntu Bunny, see if this article can provide you any help: Securing XFCE's Control over the desktop Against Nautilus

Beans
    Distro

Well, I appeared to have really messed up. I followed the steps in Securing XFCE's Control over the desktop Against Nautilus. When I got to the part about gconfig-editor > apps > Nautilus > Preferences > uncheck 'Show Desktop', I didn't have a Show Desktop. Only 'start_with_sidebar' was checked. I unchecked it, rechecked it, and closed gconfig-editor. Now it would seem something happened to my desktop manager, I have only a blank grey screen for a desktop! My panels are still there but nothing else: no icons, no wallpaper, no screen saver, no right click. In the desktop file manager window, Thunar shows everything that is supposed to be there, but it's hidden by this grey wall!
    Last edited by Buntu Bunny; September 25th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I looked at that link last night. It was from 2009. I'm not sure but a lot of things may have been moved around: dconf is also there. Then, as the author cautions, although Linux may be "modular", mixing and matching can have unexpected results. That's partly why I don't like having more than one desktop environment. You have three, if I understand correctly: Unity, Xfce, and GNOME Classic. Then, and this is just my bias, Nautilus is one of those "take charge" things and sorting it out takes quite a bit of experience if not trial and error. Plus, Nautilus is evolving rapidly, so what was suggested in 2009 may not work now.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I looked at that link last night. It was from 2009. I'm not sure but a lot of things may have been moved around: dconf is also there. Then, as the author cautions, although Linux may be "modular", mixing and matching can have unexpected results. That's partly why I don't like having more than one desktop environment. You have three, if I understand correctly: Unity, Xfce, and GNOME Classic. Then, and this is just my bias, Nautilus is one of those "take charge" things and sorting it out takes quite a bit of experience if not trial and error. Plus, Nautilus is evolving rapidly, so what was suggested in 2009 may not work now.
    Yes, that was the risk. You're correct, vasa1, there are three desktops on this computer, which likely compounded the issue. There is a mix and match of applications and things that pop up (gedit for example when I open an existing text file. If I open a text editor from my panel, it's leafpad).

Seems if I could restore my desktop manager, that would be a step in the right direction.

I've tried this

Code:
    $ xfwm4 --sm-client-disable
    xfwm4-Message: Another Window Manager (Xfwm4) is already running on screen :0.0
    xfwm4-Message: To replace the current window manager, try "--replace"

(xfwm4:28840): xfwm4-WARNING **: Could not find a screen to manage, exiting
    $ xfwm4 --replace
    Waiting for current window manager (Xfwm4) on screen :0.0 to exit: Done
    No change.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Coming back to the idea of using pure Xubuntu for both users, if the requirement for Nautilus as file manager isn't absolute and Thunar would suffice, I would guess that Xubuntu could be configured to be like GNOME Classic.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast