Thread: aplet launcher icons disappear from top panel in Gnome Fallback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

aplet launcher icons disappear from top panel in Gnome Fallback

I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on another computer and never had this happen. A fresh install on a new computer from the same live USB does not behave the same.

First I couldn't find a way to add aplets to the top panel and had to install Alacarte. AWN is no longer available, I guess. Maybe that's why this install is behaving differently? But when I put an icon in the launcher it only works once and then it's gone. If I log out and back in, it's gone. I put certain launchers in my panel for my workflow. How can I keep them there?

If I can't get this computer to work like the other two I've used gnome-session-fallback with I am considering going to Fluxbox as my DE, but that is a whole world of customization projects I don't have time for right now. I have work with deadlines that comes first. I don't have the other computers anymore. Any suggestions for a possible quick fix please?
    Last edited by Luxx; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: aplet launcher icons disappear from top panel in Gnome Fallback

Somehow in my searches I found a suggestion to reset compiz to defaults. There was a lovely little piece of terminal instruction. I wish I could link to it because it worked, but I can't find it now that I've rebooted. I'm sure it was somewhere in these forums. Whoever it was, thank you for posting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I don't know if this is what you are looking for .
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

In the future you can check your window manager (compiz) by logging into gnome-classic no-effects at boot (login). It does not use compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you, Frogs Hair. I had a heck of a time finding it in the forums myself. Perhaps adding it to this post will help someone else find the answer.
    @ ibjsb4 - I hadn't thought of that.