Thread: beginning pay extra options

Beans

beginning pay extra options

Not sure if I am titling this correctly but what I want to know is when I download unbuntu to install it on my laptop, it gives me the opportunity to spend/donate for certain features. Would like to know what you get if you pay extra. Specifically, the enhanced desktop option to start with. What other options are worth paying for? Can I get these options later after I install and begin to use ubuntu? And, if so, how would I go about finding these options. I am definitely willing to pay but want to know what I am getting for my money. Thanks, so much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: beginning pay extra options

You're getting the wrong end of the stick.

You get exactly the same software if you donate as if you don't.

It's not a way to get extra - but a way to specifically donate to parts you want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

greg19; Wow,

The background:
    Ubuntu is a totally free (as in money and access) and we have the promise it always will be. Thus I do not know where you are coming from that an install is asking for payment ?

Notwithstanding, there are developed particular applications that are for purchase.

Additional info required in order to pursue this subject.

the operating system for 'buntu is open source and FREE
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    ... Thus I do not know where you are coming from that an install is asking for payment ?...
    I assumed they'd got to here

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/questions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@ Elfy; Thanks for sharing the link.
    I was not even aware of that avenue.

good things come to those
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

I think you answered my question but just to clear things up a bit (I hope), what I am talking about is after I click on the download button, a page comes up that says, "Pay what you think it is worth" "Millions agree Ubuntu is a great piece of software. But how much do you really think it is worth?" Then there is a list: 1 - make the desktop more amazing $___ with the number 2 meaning two dollars 2 - performance optimization for games and apps $____ etc. I understand that I can put zeros and pay nothing but my question was if I pay something do I get some extra features. I am certainly willing to pay something but how can I possibly have an opinion on what it is worth until I try it and see whether or not I am able to use it. Thanks for your replies. If I understand you correctly, the download is complete whether I pay or not and I appreciate your help. I also use Open Office, for example, and on their site, they have a make a donation page and I suppose ubuntu also has such options but I want to try it first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by greg19 View Post
    I want to try it first.
    Then click on the "Not now, take me to the download" link on the contribution page, download it and try it. If after trying it you would like to make a contribution (donation) simply go back to the download link from the ubuntu.com website and make your donation.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello, Greg. Do you mean http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...bits=&release= this page? I understood this to mean contributions towards a specific development goal, i.e. if you wanted to put your donation towards office tools development or gaming development. It takes money to maintain servers and hardware, even if the software itself is free and open-source.

If anyone knows as a fact that this reply is correct or incorrect, please comment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by greg19 View Post
    I understand that I can put zeros and pay nothing but my question was if I pay something do I get some extra features. I am certainly willing to pay something but how can I possibly have an opinion on what it is worth until I try it and see whether or not I am able to use it. Thanks for your replies. If I understand you correctly, the download is complete whether I pay or not and I appreciate your help. I also use Open Office, for example, and on their site, they have a make a donation page and I suppose ubuntu also has such options but I want to try it first.
    You get nothing extra, you'll get the same version as other people get; nothing added, nothing removed. It's just a way of donating money, if you want, to specific Open Source (FOSS) projects. You might want to read a little more about FOSS and the ideology behind Ubuntu; you can start from here.