Thread: What USB adapter/dongle to buy that works out of the box?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What USB adapter/dongle to buy that works out of the box?

I have a spare 32-bit desktop running Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS that I need to connect via WIFI using a USB adapter/dongle. The PC has 4 USB ports that work for USB keyboard, USB mouse and a printer with USB connector.

There are many wifi dongles at amazon, Argos and other online stores, but I want one that I can plug into a USB2 port without having to find drivers etc.

Would

TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter just plug in and work out of the box?

If not which USB wifi dongle would?

P.S.
    Would a USB dongle that works for 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 also work on another pc with 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans

Re: What USB adapter/dongle to buy that works out of the box?

If you absolutely have to stay with 12.04LTS
    The Edimax EW-7811, for around $10.00, works, but max download speeds are less than 5 Mbps
    If you don't mind spending a little more money, thinkpenguin.com has the TPE-N150USB for around $55.00, it reaches download speeds between 15 and 20 Mbps
    If you will upgrade to 12.10 or 13.04
    thinkpenguin.com has the TPE-NDBUSB, it's expensive... $99.00, but it works out of the box and reaches download speeds up to 60 Mbps

Beans

Re: What USB adapter/dongle to buy that works out of the box?

I own all of these, by the way, and the speeds are based on my own experience