Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Beans

Re: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Thanks, I'll sit that out then.

Beans

FYI I got the new keyboard built in (five minute job, max; very simple). I think it's notably better, keys are more firm. They're still not great, you have to hit them very much in the centre for them to register. Keyboard does the job, but still isn't great (which in fairness none of the laptop keyboards I've had were).

Beans

Could you explain or link how o remove the keyboard, Id like to know how to access the inside?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You'll want to remove the "middle" screws on the bottom of the laptop. These are the two closest to the center of the system.

Once you've got them removed, turn the computer over and open the lid. Gently use a flat tool to pop one side of the power-button-trim panel (that runs between the keyboard and the screen), then finish removing it gently to avoid breaking it.

Once the trim panel is removed, you can remove the two keyboard screws and the keyboard should come up. Take care not to damage the ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thank You!

Beans

In case it hasn't been posted before:

Sometimes you strike the wrong key. Sometimes it's three, four or five keys. With the Galago UltraPro, we struck the wrong keyboard. That's not okay with us. We went back to the drawing board and completely redesigned the keyboard.

It wasn't a simple solution. The new design required new tooling and molding for manufacturing, not to mention design and test time. We're excited to announce that our work is done and we've produced a new keyboard that results in a 41% typing speed increase, accuracy increase from 83% to 99% and solid, firm feedback with each stroke. It's awesome!

Even better, we'll ship you a replacement keyboard for free! We'll include instructions to replace your keyboard and, of course, our world class support is here to help.

Request Your Free Keyboard

Thank you for being a System76 customer,
    Props to system76 for that. My Galago is only a month or so old, and has no flex in the keyboard so i assume it already has the metal plate modded keyboard. does this mean this is a NEW new keyboard design? Hopefully it fixes the "keys not registering unless hit square in the middle" problem which is plaguing so many users. I'll report back when I receive mine in a few weeks.

Beans

Yep I got the same email and apparently it is on behalf of the CEO Carl Richell. I bought the Galago UltraPro just about a week ago and immediatly logged a case with System76 for the faulty keyboard. So I am a very new customer and the problems still exist regardless of whether they added the metal plate or not. So I am really hoping this latest email is talking about a completely brand new designed keyboard. Just ordered it and will update this forum once I receive, install and test it.

Beans

Hey guys, my galago just arrived today, and I've been using it for a few hours: no keyboard problems at all, so far. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, it's a wonderful machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is a new new keyboard (3rd revision) to the Galago. The metal plate helped, but this takes it to an entirely different plane.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Please guy, let me know if they really fixed it..I would buy it, but I am really perplexed about the keyboard issue..
    If I order it in the next days, will the keybord be alright? Or will I have to ask for the metal plate? (I live in Italy, so that would be disappointing)
    I haven't understand if the fix they spoke of is only the adding of the metal plate, or if they did some other better fix (In the official page they say: "confortable keyboard and clickpad" ...is this about the fix or its really a bad joke? )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast