Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Beans

Re: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_cat View Post
    Can anyone recommend an alternative? That is comparable to the Galago specs?
    I'm in a similar situation; Galago seemed like best solution. However, after reading reviews, now considering Sager NP7330. Still made by Clevo, but reviews seem more positive.

Beans

So I got back from Holiday a couple of days ago, and unpacked and started using my Galago.....

I have to say, first impressions its a great machine, beautiful screen, really nice casing...I find the clickpad fine...and the keyboard....

Is actually pretty good!, I dont know if its my typing style but I didnt feel I was missing any keys, I hit wrong ones as I was getting used to the keyboard....but i dont think there is anything functionally wrong with it..I really like it!

Bear in mind I was using it for around an hour or so, but in that time I felt happy with my purchase...unti, I noticed that the speaker grill had been dented!. Ive reported it to System76, im hoping the return/replacement process will be smooth however Im going back and forth with them at the moment with pictures which is a little fustrating. Has anyone ever received a damaged laptop from them?

Beans

I can't speak for System76, but my unit from another company has the keyboard totally fixed. I think the keyboard thing was a manufacturing error from Clevo, and I don't think the resellers are allowed to tell you that.
    Last edited by Pobega; September 28th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans

Will new orders of Galago laptops automatically come with metal plates? I'm considering the Galago, but I don't want to manually put some plate on my laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kmelt93 View Post
    Will new orders of Galago laptops automatically come with metal plates? I'm considering the Galago, but I don't want to manually put some plate on my laptop.
    Yes. I got mine 2 weeks ago and the flex reported when typing on the keyboard was not a problem for me. I was also told while my computer was in assembly that all new orders would be shipping with the plate, and it definitely seems like mine did. I still have some responsiveness problems, especially when I hit a key near the edge of the key. If I hit it towards the middle, or harder, it registers. It seems the switch underneath is not getting pressed sometimes when I touch the side of the keys. There are times that I go multiple sentences typing fast and accurate, and there are other times where I am correcting every other word. I am just going to try to live with it/adapt my typing style to it. I love everything else about this computer and I don't want to deal with sending it back and trying a different vendor or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_cat View Post
    I really should of researched before purchasing, I was under the impression system76 made their own laptops!
    Almost no one makes their own laptops. There are really only about nine laptop manufacturers, and you don't buy from them. They just OEM to everyone.

Some links on this...
    http://www.mindconnection.com/librar...keslaptops.htm
    http://www.xoticpc.com/laptop-manufa...ops-ip-11.html

Beans

Just got my Galago today. LOVE IT! No keyboard Problems. It is, however, far from the best keyboard out there. That said, it registers key strokes no problem. I think the post above is right, it was probably a clevo screw up that they fixed but wont let anyone talk about. It may not be the best keyboard but Im already getting used to it after just a few hours and in my opinion its a small price to pay for such a wonderful computer. NOTE. If you do get the Galago, install Ubuntu 13.10, Phoronix tests show a HUGE graphics performanc increase due to the newer driver (like double). Then install the system76 driver from https://launchpad.net/~system76-dev/+archive/daily to get the 13.10 version of the driver. Anyway Id recomend this PC to anyone looking for a linux laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 4CP8X4x View Post
    Just got my Galago today. LOVE IT! No keyboard Problems. It is, however, far from the best keyboard out there. That said, it registers key strokes no problem. I think the post above is right, it was probably a clevo screw up that they fixed but wont let anyone talk about. It may not be the best keyboard but Im already getting used to it after just a few hours and in my opinion its a small price to pay for such a wonderful computer. NOTE. If you do get the Galago, install Ubuntu 13.10, Phoronix tests show a HUGE graphics performanc increase due to the newer driver (like double). Then install the system76 driver from https://launchpad.net/~system76-dev/+archive/daily to get the 13.10 version of the driver. Anyway Id recomend this PC to anyone looking for a linux laptop.
    Thanks for the tip - I just upgraded my Galago, and this machine is blazingly fast under 13.10!

Beans

Any tips on performing the upgrade? Do I just get an ISO for 13.10 and blow away 13.04 or is there some recommended "proper" update I should know about? Sorry, I haven't much experience with Ubuntu in particular.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's only 10 days left until the final version of 13.10 is released. You should probably wait for that.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast