Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Beans

Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Has this fixed the issue? Or is the keyboard still unusable?

Anyone know how the updated keyboard compares to the MacBook air keyboard?

Beans

Re: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

According to people who've had the replacement, it doesn't fix the keys not registering. It apparently helps decrease the flex.
    Here's one guy who talks about it.

Beans

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So disappointing that it was shipped with such faults, as a result im going to return mine (I haven't take it out of the box as ive been away on holiday).

I waited for 2 months on back order, such a let down.

Beans

I installed the replacement keyboard and the issue was not solved. It got a little better, but they still have to work on it. Specially the SPACE key, it gets a little annoying.

Beans

I pre-ordered the Galago and received it in early August. Mine didn't have the metal plate under the keyboard. Several keys wouldn't register (sometimes), and the spacebar frequently wouldn't register a space. This keyboard was very annoying and basically unusable. At first System76 support tried to talk me into keeping it - actually telling me that I'd eventually get used to the keyboard, have to break it in first, etc. Then they offered to send a replacement (new keyboard, not laptop). Then they accepted the return, with me paying for the shipping. I doubt that the metal plate will fix anything - this just seems like a hack. Why weren't these laptops tested before shipment? Why is the buyer expected to make the repairs? Why hasn't System76 addressed this problem, say with a recall, rebate, or at least a public acknowledgment that the problem exists? Instead the burden is placed on the customers. This purchase was a huge disappointment.

Beans

Why weren't these laptops tested before shipment? Why is the buyer expected to make the repairs? Why hasn't System76 addressed this problem, say with a recall, rebate, or at least a public acknowledgment that the problem exists?
    My sentiments exactly, very valid questions that I would love to see answered.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by penpoints2 View Post
    Why weren't these laptops tested before shipment?
    System76 is well aware of the keyboard issue. Clevo keyboards are known to be problematic, and people have complained in the past. I recently made a big fuss the GazP9 I purchased, and was first told by Ian (after sending videos of the keyboard's behavior), that it was a bad keyboard and needed replacement. When that didn't fix the problem, I was told that it was just personal preference (strange, considering he just saw the behavior and considered it defective himself!).

I think the problem here is that System76 can't fix the machines (they just buy whatever they can, which is Clevo), and so they can't admit they're problematic. What else would they sell if they had to admit to the world that, "Hey, our keyboards don't register keystrokes, but we're going to keep selling them anyway because people keep buying them and we don't have any other choice if we want to stay in business"?

And I got the same spiel you did -- that I'd get used to it, that I just had to break it in, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    And I got the same spiel you did -- that I'd get used to it, that I just had to break it in, etc.
    I don't mind very stiff keys, with a short travel distance. This is one of my preferred kinds of keyboards. But unregistered keystrokes, even 1% or fewer, are unacceptable. (It was a lot more than 1% on this keyboard.) System76 support staff were always very polite, but they were basically telling me: "learn how to type better" - which is really kind of rude, or maybe just clueless. There were lots of things I liked about the Galago, and I felt bad about returning it. I was ready to buy a different machine from System76, after the refund came through, but because of the poor support, the delays, etc., I won't be ordering from them again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by penpoints2 View Post
    I don't mind very stiff keys, with a short travel distance.
    Agreed, I actually got used to the short travel distance, so that when I sent my System76 back, it took a while for my annoyance with my interim laptop's more traditional keyboard to go away.

Beans

I really should of researched before purchasing, I was under the impression system76 made their own laptops!

Can anyone recommend an alternative? That is comparable to the Galago specs?

I've been using a Lenovo L430 for the past year and its been a solid performer, so I might try a higher Lenovo model now as ubuntu hardware support is very good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast