Thread: Flexible Partitioning Tool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flexible Partitioning Tool

I have been away from the ubuntu scene for a while...

When I installed ubuntu, I used the text partitioner to set up lvm partitioning the way that I wanted. However, ubuntu does not have the text installer with the desktop image anymore. Is there a partitioning tool with the flexibility of the old text based one that I could use during/before installation?

I don't minding playing around with manual lvm stuff however the tool did provide convenience with the encryption setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Flexible Partitioning Tool

noorez; Hi !

What about "fdisk" ?
    see:
    Code:
    man fdisk
    fdisk (in the first form of invocation) is a menu-driven program for creation
    and manipulation of partition tables. It understands DOS-type partition
    tables and BSD- or SUN-type disklabels.
    Hey, it is one way to do
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Don't use fdisk.

Fdisk only understands MS-DOS partition tables.

MS-DOS partition tables became obsolete when hard drives exceeded 32 megabytes. I've been using it up until I got my current setup.

The whole partition table in the free space at the end of the MSDOS boot loader was a dirty hack to cope with HDD bigger than 32Mb (yes Megabytes)
    The extended partition was another dirty hack to cope with HDD > 128Mb. (still Mb).

MS-DOS partition tables have been hacked to the point where they can understand up to 2T disks. My desktop has 5 disks in it, 4 of which are more than 2T. The other one is an ssd.

Use parted and a GPT partition table. Or search on gpt in the repository. Gdisk is also there but not really useful for anything complicated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay, update: I installed ubuntu encrypted following this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Encrypted_LVM luks on lvm section.

The only thing that hurts me now is configuring grub and initramfs. The guide only appears to work with ArchLinux. How can I make it work for ubuntu? Right now I cannot boot into my install. I however can manipulate with with a live cd and chroot environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay. Solved...

It seems the only thing I had to do was correctly create the /etc/crypttab file and rebuild the initramfs.