Thread: Installation problems with nVidia GT 650m

Beans

Installation problems with nVidia GT 650m

Hi all,

So i'm a total noob when it comes to ubuntu, when I try and install it on my laptop I get a purple splash screen, an underscore flashing a few times and then the screen goes completely black (with no backlight). I think the problem is with the graphics card, which is apparently not supported. I came across bumblebee, however I can't use it because I can't install ubuntu. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. The version i'm trying to install is 12.04 and the graphics card is an nVidia GT 650m.

EDIT: I also have an intel i5, so i'd assume intel integrated graphics? I'm really not sure at this point.

Many thanks,
    Jack
    Last edited by jackdneilson; September 21st, 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installation problems with nVidia GT 650m

Hi jackdneilson. Welcome to the forums

It may be a graphic card compatibility problem. I would try to boot using the nomodeset option. Check the section 'How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS' in this thread for details.

If that works, follow the steps on the next section (How to permanently set kernel boot options on an installed OS) in order to set the option for every subsequent boot.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.