Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I break a development release installed on my machine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I break a development release installed on my machine?

@ventrical

Thanks.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu use lightdm. Do they use their own greeter session or a modified Ubuntu greeter with changes to the background image and a central placement of the log in box? That is what I am wondering. Perhaps I need to redesign the Ubuntu log in screen in the fashion of the Ubuntu Gnome log in scrren. Or I could edit /etc/lightdm/50-greeter-wrapper.conf and change this

greeter-wrapper= /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-greeter-session
    to

greeter-wrapper= /usr/lib/gdm
    I am giving my brain a chance to cool down and to let the information filter down.

Kubuntu also uses lightdm (I think). And I have had kubuntu running on xmir. Perhaps kwin is more forgiving of xmir than gdm.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Thanks.

Kubuntu also uses lightdm (I think). And I have had kubuntu running on xmir. Perhaps kwin is more forgiving of xmir than gdm.

Regards.
    You're welcome.
    Question:

The kubuntu you are running. Is that a full install from the kubuntu iso or did you install the Kubuntu- desktop from the repos?

It is a pointed question. Reason being is I am interested in this topic. Secondly, one sure way to break ubuntu-desktop is to install xubuntu-desktop or edubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop or vis a versa on top of one another. This is where some of the depends will really collide with each other and theoretically they shouldn't - should they ?

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

These were installs to specifically test if I could install xmir. I followed the steps in the web page of Ollie Reis. So, this was several weeks ago. Before unity-system-compositor was put into the repos. I intend to reinstall the flavours to do a retest of this.

And I also tried installing all the desktops one on top of the other. Result = reinstall. They all tried to hijack the OS. Kubuntu desktop even changing the name from Ubuntu to Kubuntu in the grub menu. And they also brought in massive amounts of utilities. This is more than just a desktop user interface. It is closer to the full alternative distro.

There was a bit of a tussle as to which would be the login screen. First Xubuntu would appear briefly and then Lubuntu would bully its way on to the screen. I foresee a real mess when Ubuntu is sitting on Mir and Kubuntu and Lubuntu are sitting on whatever Wayland compositor makes it out of the starting blocks and someone wants an alternative desktop. And there is no easy way to remove an alternative desktop. Stuff gets left behind.

By the way, what I found was that both Xubuntu and Lubuntu use lightdm-greeter-session. But the greeters are different = conflict as to which one gets loaded. In my opinion.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 23rd, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

These were installs to specifically test if I could install xmir. I followed the steps in the web page of Ollie Reis. So, this was several weeks ago. Before unity-system-compositor was put into the repos. I intend to reinstall the flavours to do a retest of this.

And I also tried installing all the desktops one on top of the other. Result = reinstall. They all tried to hijack the OS.

Regards.

This is exactly it. I can't help but wonder as to the reasoning of why there is not some sort of caution that comes along with installing the extra desktops. I mean .. not for me .. but for noobs. It won't break the system entirely but it will break some aspects of it.

Perhaps it is lightdm or the log on process itself .. but as you have said .. yes .. I have seen Kubuntu hijack (overwrite) grub without permission it seems. Of course we give it permission when we install the desktop. So the fix would be how could we have just the desktops install and not have them carfunkle GRub or other depends? I mean .. it's the same kernel .. etc... so why do they have to merge as they do .. or why ARE they merging when they should not be?

lol

just thinking out loud..

edit ..

and/or I know we could just install the different flavours on seperate partions .. etc... but why can't we have the different desktops loaded sort of like seperate partions and only using one kernel?? ummm .. i don't get it..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    This is exactly it. I can't help but wonder as to the reasoning of why there is not some sort of caution that comes along with installing the extra desktops. I mean .. not for me .. but for noobs. It won't break the system entirely but it will break some aspects of it.

edit ..

and/or I know we could just install the different flavours on seperate partions .. etc... but why can't we have the different desktops loaded sort of like seperate partions and only using one kernel?? ummm .. i don't get it..
    Boy I have often wondered the same toughts as you, and have had some very derogitive remarks back on this topic,gald it was you to ask this seemingly easy rerquest you seem to have a nice touch of asking such things.
    On another thought I been doing testing for CyanogenMod Android and i always have the ablity to take only Stable RC,s This would be nice on buntu also, Not talking about LTS release's IMHO this just leaves a better taste in users mouth..

Beans
    Distro

Thanks ! Really .. I hope it does not sound like I am complaining because I am not lol

I think it has to do with pointers and flags and conventions. Most of the flavours are using the same directories to get their buisness done so naturally there will be overwrites and thats fine .. but the kicker is that they will not uninstall cleanly without a lot of rucku..... err uhh.. fandangling around. It's like gum in one's hair, olive oil stain on the new carpet, hard drive with a bad bearing, a cat on a hot tin roof .. ya know geesh..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 24th, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: changed 'nasal hair in my wonton soup' to 'cat on a hot tin roof' reason .. bat literature.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Code:
    Thanks ! Really .. I hope it does not sound like I am complaining because I am not  :smile: lol
    Not at all!! I been told from time to time I have the Tact of a bull in a china shop
    Its all good I Come in Peace! LOL

Beans
    Distro

Searching about , I found this:

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to...-ubuntu-12-10/

and it offers *this* code :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends kubuntu-desktop
    so here goes .. I'll install it and try to uninstall it. Perhaps it will not break after uninstall.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

By the way, what I found was that both Xubuntu and Lubuntu use lightdm-greeter-session. But the greeters are different = conflict as to which one gets loaded. In my opinion.

Regards.
    Code:
    Setting up ksnapshot (4:4.11.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up lightdm-kde-greeter (0.3.2.1-1ubuntu2) ...
    so I am assuming that lightdm for Ubuntu gets wiped. I am about to look-see.

(so we can pin these out) ?

edit..

Yup .. bullied lighdm right out. Now have default lightdm-kde-greeter (0.3.2.1-1ubuntu2) ...

So let's uninstall - (remove) and see what breaks.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop

It removed one package (kubuntu-desktop) an did nothing KDE Plasma is still there. Obviously something I did not do in my code... searching around .. here we go.. how to remove kubuntu-desktop?

ahhh.. lets try this..

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get --purge remove kubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    edit.. No dice ... msg .. kubuntu-desktop is not installed .. etc..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 24th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Now a real caveat to all of this is that when I use ;

Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    it brings me right back to the kde-greeter.!

scratchin my head.... hmmm

Ok... so the results of this experiment so far (in the theme of trying to cause breakage to saucy systems) is that the original Ubuntu install has been interfected with the KDE plasma desktop install. So the different desktop experiences are actually dueling at the stage of startup and log-on. They have no respect for each other.
    This is Rolling Release

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast