Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
I would have assumed with the hardware we're talking about that you wouldn't be bothering with X, and this comment seems to confirm that assumption. But your original post referred to "WM" which I took to mean the window manager. Is the graphical interface a requirement?
I think you misunderstood my post.

I need to use Terminal because loading Synaptic might take forever. We are talking about a machine from 1999 with P2 and 64MB RAM. With Terminal, my life is much easier on that machine.

That machine for now, as I posted on the first post, a running Lubuntu 11.10 (yes, I know it is outdated but I don't care about that). I do have a DE and WM since this is Lubuntu - See this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11832431

I think my best option would be getting rid of the DE (LXDE) and go for something much lighter. But I'd like first to remove some packages and see if that will make any difference.

I must be careful and NOT remove a package that will break my system and then, that machine would be not usable and I don't want that.