Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the state of LTS mini-iso support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is the state of LTS mini-iso support?

Hi everybody.
    I'd like some clarification regarding the length of time an install from a mini-iso is supported for.
    Here's the story:

In order to revive an ancient Compaq TC1000 tablet I did an install from the non-PAE 12.04 mini-iso, added a window manager, panel & a few other bits & pieces.
    I'd like to know if this installation will receive 5 years' support, 3 years, or just 18 months. (Some of the chaps on IRC tell me I'd get 5 years, which is awesome if correct).

An interesting (IMO) additional question then is:
    If I had installed a *buntu DE, Lubuntu or Xubuntu, for example, using the lubuntu/xubuntu-desktop meta packages from the repos what effect does that have on the support time period?
    Would the L/Xubuntu specific packages become obsolete & cause a problem?
    What happens if one installs the vanilla LXDE or XFE DE rather than a *buntu DE?
    What happens if one just installs a WM as opposed to a full *buntu DE?

Would the answers to these questions also apply to the regular (PAE) mini-iso?

Sorry if this seems trivial to some, but I feel it to be a source of confusion & clarification would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What is the state of LTS mini-iso support?

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    Hi everybody.
    I'd like some clarification regarding the length of time an install from a mini-iso is supported for.
    Here's the story:

In order to revive an ancient Compaq TC1000 tablet I did an install from the non-PAE 12.04 mini-iso, added a window manager, panel & a few other bits & pieces.
    I'd like to know if this installation will receive 5 years' support, 3 years, or just 18 months. (Some of the chaps on IRC tell me I'd get 5 years, which is awesome if correct).
    5 years. desktop packages (e.g Lubuntu-desktop) are a different matter.
    An interesting (IMO) additional question then is:
    If I had installed a *buntu DE, Lubuntu or Xubuntu, for example, using the lubuntu/xubuntu-desktop meta packages from the repos what effect does that have on the support time period?
    it is supported as long as the installed desktop is supported.
    Would the L/Xubuntu specific packages become obsolete & cause a problem?
    yes computer will emplode and take the whole universe with it. make sure you upgrade when the time comes.

nothing specific actually happens. you just don't get updates anymore. for the desktop and desktop applicaitons. you would sitll get updates for kernel and such. basically all components that are shared between variosu desktops and server.
    What happens if one installs the vanilla LXDE or XFE DE rather than a *buntu DE?
    lubuntu is customized LXDE. if you install only lxde you get only lxde packages without the Lubuntu customisation.

What happens if one just installs a WM as opposed to a full *buntu DE?
    you mean if you install it in virtual box and the OS reaches end of life ? same as above only the virtual computer impodes...

Would the answers to these questions also apply to the regular (PAE) mini-iso?
    mini-iso is just the basics upon which you can install your own things. it includes basic OS. kid of like MS-DOS was for windows 95, 98 if you know that OS. only better.

debian calls it netinstall i belive.

you said you installed a wm - well after certian time the wm won't be patched anymore (not sure how many security patches they actually receive anyway).
    i eblieve this can be solved by using a PPA and keeping those up to date (if it's really necessary). same goes for applications.

if you are looking for something very light that has long support. - have a look at LXLE - it's lubuntu based but will be maintained for the whole 5 years.
    another option is AntiX - debian/mepis based with IceWM. quite long support.

aside from these you have Red Hat based Scientific Linux and CentOS and a few others.

there are also a few other distributions made for older mashcines with long term support of packages. Puppy based on Ubuntu 12.04/using it's repositories for example.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there & thanks for the reply.

Let's see if I have understood this correctly.
    If I do a base install from a mini-iso & then add things from the 12.04 repos, whatever I've added is supported as long as it's in the those repos?

My confusion really lies in what happens if one uses *buntu-desktop meta packages to install a GUI.
    If I've installed from 12.04 mini-iso (I guess the same will hold true for 14.04) & added lubuntu-desktop via, say, synaptic or apt-get I'm not really running Lubuntu 12.04 am I?
    Consequently, IF all the packages pulled in by lubuntu-desktop are supported for 5 years I can happily continue computing by doing my regular updates? I don't want the universe to implode!!!

My thinking is that it is probably less risky to install vanilla lxde, or a window manager or whatever, from the repos. Granted I lose the customized DE, but may avoid some pain, & universe implosion, further down the line.
    Am I along the right lines here?

As an aside, with the TC1000 I found full Lubuntu a bit too heavy for it, which is why I went mini-iso plus window manager & panel etc.
    I heard of LXLE recently & was thinking of taking it for a test drive on a machine with a bit more oomph!!

I happen to think that the mini-iso is a really great way of trying to bring older, low spec hardware back to life, it's a fantastic learning experience, & with 5 years of support for non-PAE, using 12.04, there's the chance to keep ancient kit like mine useful to a large extent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Updates are provided via patched packages in the repos. When support ends, no patches are done, so no new packages are added.

Use of the mini.iso has no impact on support. It's just a different installation method. Support for a package ends when it ends, regardless of how you installed it.

So, if you do a mini install of the current LTS, 12.04.03, support for it runs as long as 12.04.03 installed any other way. That includes all the software Canonical considers part of the 12.04.03 release (the packages on the repos).

Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc., offer the same period of support as the Ubuntu version they are based on, more or less by default because they use the same repos. (I.e., they don't maintain Ubuntu packages.) However, in the case of independent components that these distributions supply that are *not* maintained in the Ubuntu repos by Canonical, then support for those components is whatever that distribution says it is. E.g., on its wiki, Lubuntu says the Lubuntu components on its releases based on Ubuntu LTS are not LTS, i.e., they won't be supported for the full lifetime of Ubuntu 12.04.03.

Don't overthink this. Software is supported for as long as its maintainers say it's supported, regardless of how it ends up on your machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're running the mini.iso, why install a *buntu-desktop anything??? That totally defeats the purpose. You may as well just install the *buntu version as same same.

Just install a desktop environment; xfce4, lxde, openbox, whatever, and the apps you use/want/need only. Cut the bloat, that is the whole idea of the mini. I have xfce4 and only the apps I use. That is it. My own personal rocket box!

Repeat, if you're going to go to the bother of a mini.iso install only to then install a *buntu-desktop on it, don't waste your time. A bit off-topic, I know, but just thought I'd mention.

Incidentally,

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc., offer the same period of support as the Ubuntu version they are based on.
    Not exactly. The LTS version of Xubuntu is three years, Lubuntu is not an LTS at all (18 months) and don't know about Kubuntu.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 20th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not exactly. Lubuntu is not an LTS at all (18 months)
    Hi,

Lubuntu 12.04 is supported for 18 months
    Lubuntu 13.04 is supported for 9 months, just like Ubuntu.

Lubuntu 14.04 is going to be the first LTS version of Lubuntu.

Releases:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    Hi everybody.
    Here's the story:

Hi,

To make your life easier, I will answer this only Q and hope it would be clear for you

Ubuntu and any of its official Flavour (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc) if we want to break the system down to parts then:

1- Core System
    2- Desktop Environment
    3- Installed Packages/Applications

Example:
    Ubuntu (in general) consists of:
    1- Core System
    2- Unity
    3- The default installed Applicaitons

Specifically:
    Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) consist of:

1- Core System (Ubuntu Mini 12.04 LTS)
    2- Unity Packages (LTS)
    3- The default installed applications (LTS)

Now, please pay attention to: Lubuntu

Lubuntu until now, has NO official LTS release. Having that said, Lubuntu 12.04 consists of:

1- Core System (Ubuntu Mini 12.04 LTS)
    2- Lubuntu Desktop Package and LXDE
    3- The default installed applications of Lubuntu

While the Core System is indeed an LTS release, the other parts ARE NOT. Having that said, while you are indeed will receive security updates for your core system for 5 years, you will NOT have any updates for the other part (Lubuntu Desktop Package and/or LXDE). Lubuntu has not enough manpower to go LTS but the team has finally decided to go for an LTS version the next release, that is 14.04

LTS: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Mini ISO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Lubuntu 12.04 is not LTS: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_VS_Ubuntu

As for Xubuntu 12.04, it is an LTS version and that means: each and every package is supported for 3 years (instead of 5).

So, in your case, if you will install the Mini ISO ALONE, that core/base system is an LTS if you are going to use Ubuntu 12.04 Mini ISO.

Whatever you are going to install on the top of that? that depends on what DE you will use and what packages.

Hope that helps!

Edit:
    Does 12.04 LXDE have LTS?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/23707...-lxde-have-lts
    Last edited by amjjawad; September 20th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Bucky: The Ubuntu packages the spins rely on and take from Ubuntu repos are supported for as long as Canonical decides. A spin can only end support for packages it actually supports. That was the gist of my point. I'm not aware of any 13.04 spin, for example, official or unofficial, that will, or could, provide support after 13.04's support ends. They can't because they'd need to take on maintenance of the defunct 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If you want something light, supporting non-PAE computers and with long term support you should try Bodhi. There's a link in my signature.

Regardless of the length of support Lubuntu 12.04 is buggy, and it's very unlikely that fixes will be provided.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    If you want something light, supporting non-PAE computers and with long term support you should try Bodhi. There's a link in my signature.
    Bodhi Linux is NOT the only system that offers support for NON-PAE Machines: http://crunchbang.org/download/

Just FYI

Regardless of the length of support Lubuntu 12.04 is buggy, and it's very unlikely that fixes will be provided.
    For you, it might be buggy but for me, it was fine!

And, overall, it is really depends on the user and what he/she is planning or going to use that machine for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast