Thread: How to remove bottom menu on lubuntu install menu?

Beans

How to remove bottom menu on lubuntu install menu?

I would like to tweak the lubuntu 13.04 install menu by removing the F1 to F6 function key menu at the bottom.

I attached an image of the boot install menu I am referring to.

menu.PNG

In researching this, I believe this menu is coming from vesamenu.c32, but honestly, not 100% sure on that. That said, I have not been able to find any configuration files that remove these function key options. This link has a lot of the configs for menu.c32, but struggling to find anything on vesamenu.c32. I do prefer the vesamenu.c32 look over the menu.c32 look so I ideally would like to stick using vesamenu.c32.

Is there an easy way of hiding or removing this menu or is it a matter of getting the vesamenu.c32 source code and modifying the c code?

If it is a matter of modifying source code, does anyone know what exact version of isolinux lubuntu 13.04 is using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to remove bottom menu on lubuntu install menu?

Welcome to UF.
    I can't imagine why you would want to do that.
    If you managed to remove it and then tried to boot it on a different computer that needs (for instance) the nomodeset boot option to boot, you won't be able to choose it.
    That being said I don't know how you would go about doing what you want.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Thanks for the welcome.
    The main reason why I want to do it is that we have a specific hw model of computer we are using so if it works on one, it works on all type of thing. I just don't want some users to mess about with these options. It's amazing how many questions my users come up with about what they are for, etc etc and I don't want to mess with all that. And saying, just ignore them and move on is often ignored it seems. So, no see, no questions, happier me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lol, understood.
    Just tell them that they are boot options for other types of system that require different kernel parameters!
    Sorry, I just don't know the answer. Maybe someone else will come up with something
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by montyp2 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.
    The main reason why I want to do it is that we have a specific hw model of computer we are using so if it works on one, it works on all type of thing. I just don't want some users to mess about with these options. It's amazing how many questions my users come up with about what they are for, etc etc and I don't want to mess with all that. And saying, just ignore them and move on is often ignored it seems. So, no see, no questions, happier me.
    Try the One Button Installer if it is going to be an Ubuntu only system: Make a tarball of your system, and then install from that tarball to the other computers. That will be quite easy, and very few questions.

If the systems are 'exactly the same, also the same size of HDD', you can make an cloned image of the drive with Clonezilla, and then clone from that to the other computers.

Beans

Thanks for the pointers, sudodus. Those do look like some intriguing options. will definitely check them out.