Thread: Ubuntu turning into windows

Beans

Angry Ubuntu turning into windows

I've been a complete Linux guy since Fedora 5 and been pretty impressed. I'm not that technical but have still managed to get everything done on linux without too much work. Recently, I switched to Ubuntu and it got even easier. Theses past few weeks have been down all the way. First I start getting a system error every time I boot up. Then I couldn't change the sound volume from the slider (always on full). That fixed itself after an update I think, now the Keyboard isn't responding. I'm sure it will probably work soon, but we seem to be losing quality. Just wanted to let off some steam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu turning into windows

And how are the problems you experience got you thinking that Ubuntu is turning into Windows? Every operating system has its flaws. But still the philosophy behind Ubuntu/Linux and Windows is fundamentally different...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And you're sure it isn't simply hardware failings?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My thoughts exactly! Amazing if something fails under Windows the hardware/drivers tends to be blamed but if it is a Linux system it must be the OS....

Beans

Ubuntu feels bloated, heavy and laggy on old or even low end new hardware. The Ubuntu repository is a god send. Updating and installing new software is flawless but that doesn't mean you should use Ubuntu it just means you should use a Buntu. Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

If your not technically minded stay away from doing any terminal stuff, times I've been hit with errors in the past was after copying and pasting terminal commands. Edit* Terminal commands I'd found on blogs, websites, forums etc.
    Last edited by mike_smith2; September 20th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.