Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Freezing 13.10

Beans

Question Frequent Freezing 13.10

At least once a day, my OS freezes and I have to do a hard shutdown and turn back on. Any Ideas where to start?

Beans

Re: Frequent Freezing 13.10

Any advice on where to start, anyone???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu +1.

13.10 is still pre-release. This Forum is the appropriate place for this question.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Belrey View Post
    Any advice on where to start, anyone???
    Which flavour are you running? I know that Lubuntu has a problem with the cooperation between the kernel and zRAM, see this link Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Or do you think it's another problem?

Beans

I'm running Regular Gnome Ubuntu 13.10.

Beans
    Hidden!

Check with this command if you have zRAM running:

Code:
    swapon -s
    and post the output in a reply. You can copy and paste from the terminal window to the editing window of the Ubuntu Forums, mark the output text and click the # icon at the top of the editing window to put it within CODE tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, I experienced the same problem (random hard freezing), but then I was pointed to this well known bug in the kernel zram code. It has been fixed but the patches have not yet reached Saucy it seems. And even the previous 3 versions have the same problem apparently. If you observe carefully you'll see that the freezes mostly happen when your memory load is high, which is when the zram swap device is used by the kernel, leading to the lockup. I turned off zram use by the simple command:

Code:
    sudo service zram config stop
    and for the past several hours have not had any freezes even under high memory usage.

Since this is a kernel level bug it wouldn't matter which flavour one uses, and until the fixes percolate to every system it is best to use the above command to turn off zram. Note that zram is not the same as the usual swap (although it uses a portion of the overall swap) and it is not essential for proper system functioning.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I spoke too soon it seems. Had a hard lockup even after I'd turned off all zram.

Perhaps it is a hardware issue at my end, as I'd originally thought...? So much for the much vaunted stability of Linux!

I do have an encrypted home directory enabled, due to which the swap parition is also encrypted. Maybe this has something to do with it... No idea at this point.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Well I spoke too soon it seems. Had a hard lockup even after I'd turned off all zram.

Perhaps it is a hardware issue at my end, as I'd originally thought...? So much for the much vaunted stability of Linux!
    ... or another instability of this new kernel?

By the way, have you tested your RAM with memtest yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This has just happened to me. Ubuntu+Unity 13.10. It used to happen a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was cured. But just now after using Libreoffice for some hours the system froze completely. No movement of mouse or keyboard. No Ctrl+Alt+F2 or anything like that. No choice but a hard shutdown.

I have indicator-multiload running and that freezes as well but nothing has maxed out. Not CPU. Not memory. Not hard disk activity. When this was last happening I used top but there was nothing eating up resources.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast