Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Set Up VPS To Make It Appear As A "Normal" Computer And Not A Server ?

Beans

Question How To Set Up VPS To Make It Appear As A "Normal" Computer And Not A Server ?

Hello Ubuntu Community !

Noob in need of some advice. ( Please tell me if this is the wrong section and where I should post this )

I know little about VPS and Ubuntu so a "computer guy" will set it up for me. I would like to get some advice about the stealth side of things.

I want to get a couple of fixed IP VPS's running Ubuntu and use them only to access a couple of websites stealthily and I have been told that a VPS running Ubuntu would be best way to do this.

What is the best way to set up a VPS to make it appear to the outside world that it is a "normal" computer and not a server ?

I also want to be able to gain access to the VPS from my laptop via a dial up connection at times, I know it will be slow but I don't need to spend much time it - Could I access it with dial up ?

I have been told to use CentOS 5 and install GNOME along with FireFox and RealVNC server for remote access. Are there any other options for remote access ?

Is there a specific desktop environment that would be the better choice for stealth?

Do I need to do something about the ports that are open or used to disguise the fact that its a server ?

Can anyone advise what else I should do to disguise the fact that its a server ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! - Thanks!
    Last edited by Omnipresence; September 20th, 2013 at 05:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How To Set Up VPS To Make It Appear As A "Normal" Computer And Not A Server ?

I have no idea what "access a couple of websites stealthily" means. How do you intend to access these sites? If you are just simply visiting a website in a browser and not doing anything illicit or against the ToS, first of all, I kind of doubt that they would care if you are running a server. Second, if you just want to hide that fact for some reason, install the User Agent Switcher add-on in Firefox and choose one of the pre-defined/generic Windows desktop user agents.

As far as "disguising" your server from the internet at large, obviously don't run services you don't have to (and change common ports of the services you must run), and of course, use a firewall.

Look into the various methods to "harden" Ubuntu (I don't know CentOS - this is an Ubuntu-centric forum, afterall...). https://www.google.com/search?q=harden+ubuntu+server

VNC over the internet, and on dial-up? Good luck with that...I think that'll be painfully slow, and also insecure unless you tunnel VNC through SSH.

Beans

Re: How To Set Up VPS To Make It Appear As A "Normal" Computer And Not A Server ?

Thanks Kanikilu

I want to go thru the VPS to access a website. It is nothing illicit, I was a user on the website but was removed through no fault of my own and would like to regain access.

The website implements many security features like browser finger printing and the use of Java to determine if you are a previous user. They have IP ranges for popular VPN's and can see proxy servers and mac addresses etc.

If I can get it to look like a computer.
    VPS would be the best option as it would be fixed IP, the cookies will remain in place plus I can also access from anywhere as I travel a lot.

Did you mean
    install the User Agent Switcher add-on in Firefox on the VPS ?

Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

why not talk with website owner then?

if you just want anonimity on access use Liberte linux or Tails OS
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have removed your other duplicate thread on the same issue. Please do not create duplicate threads as it dilutes community effort.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    I have removed your other duplicate thread on the same issue. Please do not create duplicate threads as it dilutes community effort.
    Apologies, I was unsure which section to post the question - Is this the correct section?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    why not talk with website owner then?

if you just want anonimity on access use Liberte linux or Tails OS
    If I needed anonymity I could use TOR or a VPN. If I tried to access the website with TOR, VPN or anything other than what appeared a normal computer, access would be blocked.
    I want to set up a VPS to appear as a normal computer and not a server, showing IP cookies etc, All the things a standard computer would show.

Thanks

Beans

Anybody have any thoughts of a solution to this problem ?

Thanks

Beans

I think the best approach to solving your dilemma is to approach the site admin for the web site you're talking about and maybe they will remove you from the black list.

The thing is, if I understand your request correctly (I'm pretty sure I do) then what you're asking would help mask your identity during illicit activities.

While setting this sort of thing up for your stated purpose might not violate THIS site's ToS (terms of service), it probably will violate the other's, and as soon as somebody figures it out you'll be banned there again.

Helping set that sort of thing up for the type of illicit activity that comes to mind when I read your posts WOULD violate this site's ToS. I seriously doubt you're going to get much help here.

Beans

I have approached the site admin but they do not allow access from certain countries. I will be travelling and needing access from these countries.

You misunderstand, I do not need to mask my identity, I need to mask the fact that I am accessing the website from a country that they don't approve of because somebody decided that an embargo would be good thing ...

A similar thing can also be achieved by VPN but I would rather go the VPS route.

Can anyone offer a constructive opinion ?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast