Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 now will not boot and Ubuntu failed

Beans

Re: Windows 7 now will not boot and Ubuntu failed

and sorry for the similar thread. it started as a different problem but back to same thing again. thanks for closing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Ouch.
    Did you see Oldfred's reply to your other thread?
    We need to know what's happening with your system. How it boots and in what mode.
    It may be a UEFI machine but booting in bios mode. Can you enter your bios and tell us what booting options are there please and what are currently set?
    Also if you could boot into the Ubuntu cd/usb and select "try Ubuntu" then when the desktop loads open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and post the output here please.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x7b4d19a1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 35653631 17825792 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda2 * 35653632 35858431 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 35858432 819482623 391812096 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdg: 1028 MB, 1028980224 bytes
    4 heads, 8 sectors/track, 62803 cylinders, total 2009727 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdg1 * 8 2009726 1004859+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Beans

my live usb now has 13.04 by the way in case it matters. gave up on 12.04. but feel free to let me know if that was a mistake.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. When you boot the Ubuntu live usb I presume you get a black screen with a couple of lines of type at top left rather than the purple screen with the little man at the bottom?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Version should not make any difference.
    You have a BIOS boot Windows with the standard 100MB Windows hidden boot partition sda2 and main install in sda3.

Use Windows to shrink the main Windows install to make unallocated space for Ubuntu. Do not create partitions with Windows as it may want to convert to dynamic partitions from basic. Reboot into Windows so it can run chkdsk and make repairs for its new size.

I usually partition in advance with gparted but you can do it during install. You will have to create sda4 as an extended partition including all the unallocated space. Then inside the extended you can create an unlimited number of logical partitions. All your new partitions will be logical.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home if allocating over 30GB.:

for gpt(GUID) or MBR(msdos) partitioning
    Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited.
    If total space less than about 30GB just use / not separate /home or standard install.
    1. 10-25 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM in GiB not GB. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended).
    One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

Installer has not really changed, so you can install with 13.04 and screens will be almost the same in these examples.
    Install with separate /home from aysiu
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome

Install 12.04.1 with screenshots of Unity, gnome3, & gnome fallback - Not everything is necessary, but shows how to do many things
    http://*********************.com/

Last edited by oldfred; September 20th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Thanks. When you boot the Ubuntu live usb I presume you get a black screen with a couple of lines of type at top left rather than the purple screen with the little man at the bottom?
    first screen is black with try ubuntu, install, etc. then ubunu logo on purple screen after selecting try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. See what Oldfred has to say but Ubuntu live usb is definitely booting in EFI mode. With your system it needs to boot in bios mode. To change that there will be a setting in your computer's bios.
    In this mode grub_efi cannot be installed. It should be installing grub-pc.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended). This I do not understand completely and would mean I do need to partition in advance instead of during install. ? I don't understand how to just "leave some space." Thanks for all the help. I'm not gonna give up just yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Give up? Certainly not!
    A shared partition is a matter of choice only.
    Leaving space is accomplished in the "something else" option partitioning screen. You just don't use all of the available space - you make a swap partition and a root (/) partition but leave some space unallocated. Or create an NTFS partition in that unallocated space if you so desire.

Anyway, you need to get the Ubuntu live usb to boot in bios mode first or you won't be installing or partitioning anything.
    Any news on your bios settings in that regard?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

yes sir! got my bios up and it was priority as an efi boot. i selected the other usb option and got the screen with the "little man" on the bottom now. should i partition in advance in gparted? or just try the alongside option?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast