Thread: Ubuntu installer does not see windows 8.1 or free space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu installer does not see windows 8.1 or free space.

Here is the situation, I have windows 8.1 build 9471 with a custom install. Created only one partition which is c drive. Shrunk partition by 160 GB. Booted into ubuntu 13.10 daily 9/19 and selected install Ubuntu. When the installer came up it did not see windows 8.1 or free space. Just to make sure, I rebooted into live system and sure enough windows was there. So why can't the initial boot into install option not see windows or free space. Also tried to install from live, but nothing happens, click on install Ubuntu and the launcher icon just fades in and out, no installer window pops up.

Henry
    Ubuntu 24.04 64 bit
    HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 16 inch
    32 GB ram 500 GB SSD Nvme
    Intel 10th generation i5 4 cores 4 threads. Intel UHD graphics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu installer does not see windows 8.1 or free space.

Are you using the manual partitioner (something else)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't think so, in live cd I just click on install ubuntu 13.10 icon both on launcher and desktop.

Henry
    Ubuntu 24.04 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You may want to try the manual partitioner, to see if your Windows partitions are detected properly, You can select by clicking Something Else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually I went ahead and rebooted to install ubuntu, when I attempted to install I got a message about gpt and fake dos. Windows can really get me peeved. Anyway I ran gparted live and blew windows off. Currently I am running ubuntu 13.10 only.

Tommorrow I wil try reinstalling windows and try again. I beleive the problem is with windows 8 oem image, whenever I custom install windows 8.1 over windows 8, I get the gpt fake dos error message. If I remember, last time this happened I installed windows 8.1 over ubuntu. This should solve the problem. Then I will be able to dual boot.

Henry
    Ubuntu 24.04 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It seems to me that you are having the usual sort of problems that people have when installing Ubuntu with Windows 8 pre-install. These issues may not specifically be 13.10 related. Is this the first time you have tried to install Ubuntu with Windows 8? There many threads in the other sections of the forums about doing this. There often are complications.

1) Fast boot needs to be turned off
    2) If Windows boots in EFI mode, then Ubuntu has to be installed in EFI mode
    3) Ubuntu 12.04.2; 12.10; 13.04 and 13.10 can install with secure boot enabled.
    4) We must be using 64bit Ubuntu as the 32bit Ubuntu installer does not recognise EFI/UEFI

That is the little bit that I have picked up from reading those other threads.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530