Thread: Best way to download files from internet using bash

Beans

Question Best way to download files from internet using bash

Hi there,

I am currently installing my ubuntu server (13.04). Doing so, I need to download several drivers from the internet using bash. I know that I could use wget but depending on the target urls it might be pretty horrible to type in the complete link. How do you guys do this?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Best way to download files from internet using bash

wget would definitely be the way to grab files from the web using a script. Another option would be to install curl but the syntax is not going to be that different. If you have a problem with URLs in wget you will have the same problem with curl. Can't you just cut and past the URL into the terminal? That usually works for me though for some links I have to wrap them in quotes ""

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the servers offers FTP, the ncftp client is still around. Kind of a command line browser interface.

I *think* a text-based browser like lynx can handle downloads, too. (Would be handy to have on a server, too.)

But, for just a one-off download of several files, I'd just use wget.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Are you ssh-ing into the server, or working on the machine itself?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are text-mode browsers available. W3M, Links2 (which can run in graphical mode without X, just start it with the -g parameter) and eLinks are good options and should work fine for the purpose of browsing around to a driver download page, and then downloading a driver.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    If the servers offers FTP, the ncftp client is still around. Kind of a command line browser interface.

I *think* a text-based browser like lynx can handle downloads, too. (Would be handy to have on a server, too.)

But, for just a one-off download of several files, I'd just use wget.
    lynx is also a great choice. It does downloads, too, of course. But it's also good for browsing through other web pages to get to the link you need to download.