Thread: Questions about Ubuntu Studio for Dell Latitude D620

Beans

Question Questions about Ubuntu Studio for Dell Latitude D620

Hi, all!

I am a musician getting ready to do some experimenting with Linux-based music programs. I remember my days of using Anvil Studio and Audacity as well as Virtual Instruments on Windows, and I want to give it a try on Linux. Thing is, I'm not just a musician, I'm involved in other creative pursuits to the extent that Ubuntu Studio might be a possible choice.

Now here's the deal. I know about Audacity and SOME Virtual Instrument products (I can't afford an actual synth keyboard.), and I know Ubuntu Studio has these. But I know absolutely nothing about this JACK program (which I've read doesn't seem to work well on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop, which is what I have). What is JACK, and what's it really for? Do I absolutely have to use it in order to record ANY music at all? Is it involved with the Virtual Instrument programs, or can I just use the Virtual Instruments to hammer out and record ideas and save them for later working in Audacity (the program I'm most familiar with)?

I don't want Ubuntu Studio just for the music parts, but for ALL of it--video editing, publishing, the whole shebang.

Will the latest Ubuntu Studio (I believe the Long-Term support version is 12.10) work on my Dell, or shall I just go and get the VM programs that caught my eye in the Ubuntu Software Center and use them on my Quantal Quetzal distro?

Does anyone have any helpful links to tutorials so I can learn how to work with this stuff on my own once I've determined "yay" or "nay" to Ubuntu Studio?

Yeah, I'm something of a noob. But I have so much music and other creative things I want to do that I am willing to give composing via Linux a serious shot--especially since I LOVE Linux and I refuse to go back to Windows unless I am forced to.
    Last edited by druidkat7; September 19th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Questions about Ubuntu Studio for Dell Latitude D620

You say you love Linux, but how are you experienced with it? If you are, than using Ubuntu Studio will not be that difficult for you. If not, you will not be really productive atleast for 6 months.
    Personaly, it took me couple of years.
    Well, first read this
    http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-w...udio-explained
    that is good start point to search further.
    What is JACK, and what's it really for? Do I absolutely have to use it in order to record ANY music at all?
    No.

Beans

Well, to be honest, so far I have mostly used Linux like I used Windows. I switched to Linux primarily for the security, the ability to save myself money (no anti-spyware or antivirus software) and the open-source philosophy. That is why I love Linux. There are a LOT of things I do not know yet. Which is why I came here seeking answers. Only now have music programs on Linux progressed to the point where I am considering working with them. Otherwise I'd be saving for a Mac.

I am looking at Ubuntu Studio not just for the music aspect of it, but for the other programs like Openshot and Inkscape. However, realizing that, in computer years, my Dell D620 is old, I may not be able to run Ubuntu Studio because of the problems with using JACK on this particular laptop model (according to what I've read). Are there any programs you can recommend besides Audacity (which I can get reacquainted with) that do not require JACK, but also have a virtual synth/keyboard? If I had the room and the money for a physical synth, I would be asking a whole different set of questions.

Thank you for the link.
    Last edited by druidkat7; September 19th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Openshot is basicly trash.
    You need JACK if you want to combine multiple programs to work together, and to use JACK only software. Don't be sceptic, just try the Live DVD and see how it works. If you have space install it and try/explore.
    Traverso is fine multitrack recorder. Don't know what type of music you do, LMMS is also ALSA friendly. Lots of software works with ALSA, you need to find out.

Beans

Well, I am new to video editing, and so far OpenShot is my best bet for no money at all from the Ubuntu Software Center. I am going to have to do more research concerning JACK and ALSA programs. That's just it. And maybe save for a better computer.

Beans

As for the music I plan on doing, right now, Audacity will serve its purpose perfectly, as right now I'm mostly acoustic guitar and keyboard and vocals oriented...very simple stuff right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by druidkat7 View Post
    Well, I am new to video editing, and so far OpenShot is my best bet for no money at all from the Ubuntu Software Center. I am going to have to do more research concerning JACK and ALSA programs. That's just it. And maybe save for a better computer.
    Well, you can try Avidemux and Lives for video editing. Both are available in Ubuntu Software Center for free. Kdenlive is available with ubuntu Studio by default too.

Also, from experience, best way to research Jack is to start using it.
    Its not that a problem once you get things going.

Best of Luck.
    Last edited by su:bhatta; September 24th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would recommend to browse through https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio .

For audio and video I prefer Ardour and Kdenlive. To get you up an running I don't agree it will take 6 months to a year. Yes, you can keep adjusting and fiddling with settings to get perfect setup, but you can go on an be creative long before you have the need to drill deep into jack, xruns etc. Do some reading about Jack, after that I'm sure you can do the first setup to get the ball rolling.