Thread: Building new desktop. Just want to make sure these parts aren't problematic.

Beans

Question Building new desktop. Just want to make sure these parts aren't problematic.

So I haven't order the parts yet but these are what I'm looking at using for my new machine:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1DSGG

I used the search function and checked through the parts incompatibility list but haven't found anything related to these parts, so I just wanted to run them by you guys before I make the purchase. I'm probably going to also dual boot windows on this machine, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble with Ubuntu.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Building new desktop. Just want to make sure these parts aren't problematic.

Hello!

You won't likely have any problems there, but nobody can say for sure.

Two things of note:

You will get all sorts of very strong opinions about your choice of video card. The ATI and NVIDIA camps fire artillery at each other all the time. I use ATIs quite often, but their Linux drivers are often not as feature rich as NVIDIA's. The "they are hard to install" arguments are pure bunk.

You might look at a slightly more robust power supply. Never skimp there. The PSU is not a good place to save some cash. One that does not supply enough wattage plus a lot to spare may fail. You don't want a PSU that just barely supplies the peak wattage of the system. You should look for one where the peak total wattage of your machine is no more than 75 - 80% of the rated wattage of the PSU. Then again, it's your money. But a failed PSU can ruin everything in the case.

Functionally, you should be fine. but I would consider a better PSU.

Beans

Re: Building new desktop. Just want to make sure these parts aren't problematic.

Good to hear! I will definitely check into a better PSU as well, thanks!