Thread: Not able to start Lubuntu. Sticks at flashing cursor

Beans

Question Not able to start Lubuntu. Sticks at flashing cursor

I have an old laptop which I have reformatted the disk on and loaded Lubuntu Alternate 13.04. I received the successful install message but after rebooting to launch the system I get the Lubuntu logo then a black screen except for the flashing cursor. After researching the Lubuntu web pages I used Ctrl+Alt+F1 to bring up the ubuntu login: message. I entered my user login name and pressed return and got the password: message. I typed my password and received the following script
    Last login: "date" "time" BST 2013 on tty1
    Welcome to Ubuntu 13.04 (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-19-generic i686)
    *Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
    0 packages can be updated
    0 updates are security updates
    "name"@ubuntu:~$"flashing cursor"

The date and time in the message are from my previous attempt to load the application and name is my login name. The flashing cursor at the end of the message is waiting for me to enter something but I don't know what?
    My laptop spec is Pentium 3, 600MHz, 512MB RAM, Video memory 8MB, Laptop Hard Drive is 6GB.

Can someone tell me what I should be typing at the flashing cursor and also whether my laptop spec is sufficient toi run Lubuntu Alternate.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Not able to start Lubuntu. Sticks at flashing cursor

This means you are in a command-line session (it means you type commands).
    Press ALT+F7. That should give you a graphical system.

PS. Why did you install via the Alternate CD? You can use the regular desktop CD to test before using. Edit: mrgs makes a good point about your spec. The desktop cd might not run too well.

... and also whether my laptop spec is sufficient to run Lubuntu Alternate?
    Lubuntu Alternate means that it is a text-based installer. The desktop CD gives a preview of what the installed system will look like (you can "test drive it").

However, I think 6GB HDD is too little. Try Puppy-Linux instead (install to a usb stick, not to HDD). Edit 2: You might not be able to boot a USB. mrgs makes a good point that anything with a GUI can be heavy for that computer.
    Last edited by Jonathan Precise; September 19th, 2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spec reconsider

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise View Post
    Why did you install via the Alternate CD? You can use the regular desktop CD to test before using.
    The alternate ISO was probably a good choice. It's not likely that this old fella runs a full ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise View Post

Try Puppy-Linux instead (install to a usb stick, not to HDD)
    - and it's not likely either that it boots from USB.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    - and it's not likely either that it boots from USB.
    Then a CD for Puppy linux is possible, though everything will have to be saved to a USB flash drive.

Edit: you can also try Bodhi Linux (no PAE)
    Last edited by Jonathan Precise; September 18th, 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: mrgs's signature.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Running from a USB stick is slower than from the hard disk. No need for that.

If you install Bodhi you can also use the PAE version, as this is a Pentium 3. Not that PAE matters much in this case.

But... whichever distro you choose be prepared that it will work in slow motion. Personally I wouldn't run anything with a GUI on hardware like this. Sorry...
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts