Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Powerlifting or Strength training.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,521
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Hi Guys,

    Is anyone using Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5 X 5 program in here? If you are, what are your views on it?

    I am utilising stronglifts and currently in week 4 and feeling stronger each time.

    Thought I'd ask here...
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    50

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    As for the named programmes, I did Bear routine once and could recommend it. Have strenghtened a lot and build ~5kg on. But the amounts of squats/dead lifts is just harsh...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Beans
    458
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    I did a 5x5 system for a while. Dont know the specific name of it.

    I kind of got out of the body building thing. I put on a lot of weight once I took a break, and not to mention it seriously degraded my mobility. I focus more on cardiovascular workouts now and everything seems to be good again, though my shoulder is still kind of bad from over doing it with bench presses, I would recommend dumb bell presses over a bar.

    I personally like cardio based workouts more because of runners high and you can get on a bicycle and go see the town for free, biking to your nearest state park then going for a hike just sounds like so much fun.
    KDE is the best

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    131

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Very interesting thread! I did strength training some years ago. There was a group of us, we got together three times a week. I did the training more or less to have something to do but in the end it landed me a job where I needed a lot of physical strength. At 52 years old now, I started riding a bike for exercise. Arthritis has taken it's toll on me and I find that I can not do things like chin ups anymore without a lot of pain. I still do push ups and sit ups pretty regularly though.

    I used to wrestle in high school and I still remember what the coach said about building quick, fast muscle and I still use that advice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,521
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    Arthritis has taken it's toll on me and I find that I can not do things like chin ups anymore without a lot of pain. I still do push ups and sit ups pretty regularly though.

    I used to wrestle in high school and I still remember what the coach said about building quick, fast muscle and I still use that advice.
    Sorry to hear that you have Arthritis. I was reading an article which mentions strength training can help Arthritis - http://www.arthritistoday.org/news/why-lift-weights.php

    And also coach Mark Rippetoe has helped people with this condition. Interestingly many threads exist on starting strength website e.g: http://startingstrength.com/resource...d.php?t=21051&

    Many people when have knee injuries they still squat as rehab which really motivates me to carry on squatting.

    Quote from SS link above -

    "I have a female trainee in her late thirties who works with me who has arthritis in both knees. Bad enough that her doctor had recommended surgery.

    After doing SS for about 6 months her knees feel better than they have in many years. She has even expressed a desire to start running again (something I strongly discouraged). But that just indicates how much better she feels. She was having trouble walking before.

    I have her on a gluten-free diet right now and that seems to be helping as well.

    Mat
    t"
    Last edited by ukripper; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rural Nevada, USA
    Beans
    299
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Arthritis can be a nasty and infuriating thing to figure out. Strength training helps for some but not others. It can derive from food sensitivities, persistent bacterial infections, allergies, auto-immune disorders, and old-fashioned mechanical stress and damage. Each cause requires a different treatment, but sometimes more than one cause may be present.

    My wife suffered for years from debilitating, painful arthritis in her wrists and knuckles and knees and hips and feet. Doctors were no help. She finally figured out after huge amounts of research on her own that she was one of a small number of people who are sensitive to plants of the nightshade family, including tomatoes, potatoes, chile peppers, and eggplants. She had to give all that up, but once she did, her improvement was rapid. After three years, she still has some lingering after-effects, but she's at least 90% improved.

    And she recommends strength training too!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    93
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Starting strength is the better program. I found stronglifts first, it got me started but I quickly figured out that it was just a sales site. Not much in depth knowledge, and it seemed that their was more copy and paste going on than real experience. The starting strength program is well designed, Mark has a great website where you can find answers to most of your questions. I highly recommend buying the book "Starting Strength" , it includes the program and the logic behind it as well as detailed instructions on each lift. Send me an email and I will send you a Spread sheet of the workouts that is really useful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,521
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Quote Originally Posted by abrianb View Post
    Starting strength is the better program. I found stronglifts first, it got me started but I quickly figured out that it was just a sales site. Not much in depth knowledge, and it seemed that their was more copy and paste going on than real experience. The starting strength program is well designed, Mark has a great website where you can find answers to most of your questions. I highly recommend buying the book "Starting Strength" , it includes the program and the logic behind it as well as detailed instructions on each lift. Send me an email and I will send you a Spread sheet of the workouts that is really useful.
    I fully agree with you. However, I'm following stronglifts program which is free and no sales pitch. Using Mark's book "Starting Strength" latest edition to understand biomechanics of our body during powerlifting. Mark is a great coach who knows his stuff well about powerlifting. Guy behind stronglifts is a salesman and I don't buy anything from him but has a good free 5X5 program which I like and that's all.

    Also I am not ready for clean and jerk as yet which SS advises.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,521
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Powerlifting or Strength training.

    Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    Arthritis can be a nasty and infuriating thing to figure out. Strength training helps for some but not others. It can derive from food sensitivities, persistent bacterial infections, allergies, auto-immune disorders, and old-fashioned mechanical stress and damage. Each cause requires a different treatment, but sometimes more than one cause may be present.

    My wife suffered for years from debilitating, painful arthritis in her wrists and knuckles and knees and hips and feet. Doctors were no help. She finally figured out after huge amounts of research on her own that she was one of a small number of people who are sensitive to plants of the nightshade family, including tomatoes, potatoes, chile peppers, and eggplants. She had to give all that up, but once she did, her improvement was rapid. After three years, she still has some lingering after-effects, but she's at least 90% improved.

    And she recommends strength training too!

    Sorry to hear that but at the same time happy to hear she has 90% improved. Just curious has your wife tried any kind of strength training, it is just for my knowledge so I could help others.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •