Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXDE instead of gnome/unity?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

LXDE instead of gnome/unity?

Hello all,

Heres my story... I've been using Ubuntu as my only OS for a while now but I'm discouraged with the fact that it constantly gets slowed down. I mean, Firefox takes 23 seconds to open! From a fresh boot I click Firefox and it takes 17-25 seconds to open. This is just one example of the slowness. Once in the browser though things are relatively fast, but when copying files between hard drives or other daily tasks it gets bogged now and then.

I just tried a live CD of Lubuntu because I heard how fast it is. I don't want to admit it, but it was insanely fast compared to my Ubuntu install. I clicked the chromium icon expecting it to be 10 seconds instead of 20, but before I hit 4 it was open and the home page was loaded.

My question is this: can I get the same speed increase by switching my desktop environment to lxde on my current Ubuntu install? If so, can I remove all other desktop environments so that lxde is the only and default option? Will this cause issues?

My Computer Stats:
    Acer Aspire One AOA150
    1.66 Ghz Dual core Intel Atom
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    120GB Hitachi HD

Note that I have a 3GB swap partition set up as well, which is more than enough for the simple web browsing and emailing that I use my netbook for. Also note that windows 7 runs smoothly and actually quite quickly, so I don't think it's that my system is incapable...

Any suggestions on how I can speed up my Ubuntu install would be great, I really don't want to switch to Lubuntu or another distro if I don't have to, but I need a speed increase because I think gnome and unity is too much on my computer. The fan runs constantly (part of a glitch between Ubuntu and my model) and the computer gets unreasonably hot as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance, all the best,
    Last edited by CeejRab; September 18th, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: LXDE instead of gnome/unity?

Your little Acer One would be much better with just Lubuntu
    My eeepc has 2GB RAM and managed Ubuntu OK. 13.04 though is better than 12.04
    XFCE or LXDE (or funny too I find Mint Mate) are a better choice
    Don't expect too much from your little machine...
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply Carl4926,

Im seeing that there's supposedly a Lubuntu 12.04LTS... Is that real? Is it supported by canonical and will get updates same as Ubuntu 12.04LTS? If so I may be interested in making the switch... I loved the speed difference I noticed on the live CD.

Whats your opinion of xubuntu? Is it as fast as lubuntu or no? I realize XFCE is a bit heavier than LXDE but its still much lighter than gnome+unity.... Would xubuntu be faster for me? Also does it come in a LTS release supported by canonical?

Thanks, sorry to ask so many questions!
    -CeejRab

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by CeejRab View Post
    Im seeing that there's supposedly a Lubuntu 12.04LTS... Is that real? Is it supported by canonical and will get updates same as Ubuntu 12.04LTS?
    According to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...eleases#A12.04
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_VS_Ubuntu

Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS as it is only supported until October 2013. While some updates may continue beyond that date those specific to Lubuntu will not.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; September 18th, 2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Changed links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry for post. just noticed it was listed as solved

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    According to:

Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS as it is only supported until October 2013. While some updates may continue beyond that date those specific to Lubuntu will not.
    A related question, since Lubuntu is only supported until October 2013, would I be better off to install lxde instead of lubuntu-desktop? I have Ubuntu 12.04 also.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ubume2; September 18th, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu 12.04 won't be supported past October 2013, but Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail is supported till late next year! I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 right now and oh my is it ever fast. Not quite as appealing with eye candy as gnome and unity but its efficient and very zippy. All positives here for Lubuntu!
    -CeejRab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CeejRab View Post

Im seeing that there's supposedly a Lubuntu 12.04LTS... ...
    Source?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Lubuntu has to be quicker than Xubuntu it's just plain common sense and stat logic.
    Yes it is avail in 12.04 LTS but it isn't an updated image like the Ubuntu one, so you'll have some updates to run post install.

Xubuntu is nice, and should be fine too IMO. It would likely be my choice.
    thanks! I have both images, I'll give then both a try and see what I find!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    According to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...eleases#A12.04
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_VS_Ubuntu

ok thanks for that info, I wasn't sure...

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Source?
    Random forum where I looked through old posts and saw people used the term Lubuntu 12.04LTS. Good to know its not a full LTS.

Thanks to everyone, all the best.
    Last edited by CeejRab; September 18th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lubuntu has to be quicker than Xubuntu it's just plain common sense and stat logic.
    Yes it is avail in 12.04 LTS but it isn't an updated image like the Ubuntu one, so you'll have some updates to run post install.

Xubuntu is nice, and should be fine too IMO. It would likely be my choice.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

Due to some compatibility and my genuine love for the gnome interface, and familiarity with ubuntu.....

Yep, im back. Ubuntu has what i need

Is it a problem if my computer gets hot? How can get it to run cooler? I dont want to just disable the fan, because it needs the fan since its running warm.... any suggestions?
    -CeejRab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast