Thread: tmdb.py broken? themoviedb.org API version 2.1 shutdown 15th September

Beans

Question tmdb.py broken? themoviedb.org API version 2.1 shutdown 15th September

I am new to Mythbuntu.
    My movies suddenly stopped updating in my video library. I traced the issue to tmdb.py and found it is using version 2.1 of the TMDb API. A google search revealed that it has been shut down and replaced with version 3.
    Is there an update for this or work around for this? I am using the latest available build of Mythbuntu.

Cached page with the notice: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks

Beans

Re: tmdb.py broken? themoviedb.org API version 2.1 shutdown 15th September

It looks like Version 3 of the API had been included in later releases of MythTV. It's in the current repository at the very least. It looks like TMDB updates won't work for the current release of Mythbuntu (12.04.3).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RavenB72 View Post
    It looks like Version 3 of the API had been included in later releases of MythTV. It's in the current repository at the very least. It looks like TMDB updates won't work for the current release of Mythbuntu (12.04.3).
    That isn't entirely true, the Mythbuntu team provides updated packages for 12.04.3. You need to use tmdb3.py.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    That isn't entirely true, the Mythbuntu team provides updated packages for 12.04.3. You need to use tmdb3.py.
    I discovered this yesterday too. I'm on 12.04.2 for most of my machines and tmdb3.py is there and works.

It's in

/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/

just like tmdb.py
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thank you for the clarification. I did see tmdb3.py. I tried calling it from the command line but it generated errors. I can't find any reference material for the parameter format. Does it require different parameters?
    Can you tell how to configure MythTV to use this script instead of tmdb. py or point me to a reference?

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    tmdb3.py -h
    Will give you usage information if running it commandline. you could try

Code:
    tmdb3.py -M "World War Z"
    As for configuring with myth I didn't even bother looking for a place. I just removed the existing tmdb.py and renamed tmdb3.py tmdb.py and it worked fine for the two files I tried in mythvideo. So I'm guessing it takes the same parameters. this might not be the right way to do it, but since the old tmdb.py is never gonna work again anyway I didn't see any issue with it.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

I gave this a try last night and this approach does seem to work fine. Thanks.

This is a related question, not sure its worth another thread?

I am still not able to get my TV Shows to update. I created two folders "/var/lib/mythtv/videos/Movies" and "/var/lib/mythtv/videos/TV Shows". If I put TV show files in the The TV Shows folder should the ttvdb.py script run on this folder or is it only run on recorded content?

The script does return good data if I run it from the command line. The Example file I used was "Once Upon A Time S01E01.mp4".

Maybe I am not using the video folder as I should?

Beans

Looking at the logs it does appear that the script is being called, it just doesn't do a very good job at resolving the program titles. XBMC seems to do a much better job.

Beans

System status shows my TV metadata lookup failing since I change the tmdb3.py to tmdb.py. Would this affect tv lookup?
    Last edited by qsilver7; September 29th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I think the issue is that the tv metadata call is looking to use a -t option for tmdb.py that doesn't exist anymore. So it fails. Perhaps newer versions of myth don't use this option? Or there's a place in mythtv configuration to tell it not to use this option?

Rather than search for that I think I'll just modify tmdb.py to take a -t argument and do nothing. in the 2.1 tmdb.py this was simply used to test for availabilty of runtime dependencies. So I'll just modify the new script to return true when given -t.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    My Hardware