Thread: Administrator is immediately logged off

Beans

Administrator is immediately logged off

I have had a basic ubuntu 12.04 server for about a year (headless system, control through webmin, mobaxterm, and filezilla). I recently upgraded to 13.1, which went fine. I then installed virtualbox (and created a virtualbox user) which also seemed to go fine, but soon after that, my system became inaccessable. I hooked up a keyboard and monitor and tried to log in at the server box. It seems to log in fine, but then immediately logs me back off (w/o any error) and shows the log-in screen again. If I log in with a non-admin user, I can log in fine (but have limited superuser control). I've searched for a solution, but I'm at a loss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Administrator is immediately logged off

Is "13.1" 13.10 or 13.04?

If the former, that's not released yet, so there could be all kinds of explanations for your problem. Questions about 13.10 should go to the "Ubuntu+1" section here.

Beans

It is 13.10.

Beans

Administrator is immediately logged out

I have had a basic ubuntu 12.04 server for about a year (headless system, control through webmin, mobaxterm, and filezilla). I recently upgraded to 13.10, which went fine. I then installed virtualbox (and created a virtualbox user) which also seemed to go fine, but soon after that, my system became inaccessable. I hooked up a keyboard and monitor and tried to log in at the server box. It seems to log in fine, but then immediately logs me back off (w/o any error) and shows the log-in screen again. If I log in with a non-admin user, I can log in fine (but have limited superuser control). I've searched for a solution, but I'm at a loss.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Administrator is immediately logged out

I don't suppose there is any way you can check /var/log/auth.log, to see what is happening.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged.

Beans

I wonder if something got screwed up in your primary account's startup scripts (.profile / .bashrc etc.)? if so, and the ssh server is still starting OK, you could try ssh'ing in with a noprofile shell

Code:
    ssh  yourserver bash --noprofile --norc
    (be aware you won't even get a shell prompt!). Similarly, you could try logging in as a non-admin user and then su'ing with something other than your regular shell (and without the '-l' or '--' login shell option) e.g.

Code:
    su -s /bin/sh adminuser
    If neither of those work, then I think you will need to boot into recovery mode and go in via the root shell.