Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario 905EA: Couldn't mount CD

Beans

Question Compaq Presario 905EA: Couldn't mount CD

Hello,

I'm trying to install Lubuntu on an old laptop. Previosly I never had anything to do with Linux.

What happened:
    - I burned the CD with the alternate ISO (file checked with md5 sum) of Lubuntu 13.04 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO)
    - Started laptop with the CD

- Installing process began (selecting language)
    - I chose "Check disk for defects"

The problem (likewise happened if I directly chose "Install Lubuntu"):
    "Detecting Hardware to find CD-ROM drives" progressed up to 97% then displayed the error message of
    "[!!] Configuring d-i
    Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again.
    Retry mounting the CD-ROM?
    <Yes> <No>"

No matter what I tried (e.g. re-entering the cd), it didn't work.

Sometimes I got a second message:
    "Error reading Release file
    The CD-ROM does not seem to contain a valid 'Release' file, or that file could not be read correctly. You may try to repeat CD-ROM detection but, even if it does succeed the second time, you may experience problems later in the installation. <continue>"

While executing another try to copy the messages into this post, there appeared a third message (which didn't appear all the 10-15 times I tried before):
    "[!!] Configuring d-i
    Incorrect CD-ROM detected
    The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation.
    Please insert a suitable CD to continue with the installation."

Well, I thought the laptop has a problem with the CD-ROM driver. But the third message indicates a bad burn of the cd, doesn't it? If so, how can I make sure I'll burn a better one next time?

Some hardware information:
    Compaq Presario 905EA
    Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ 1.52 GHz, 240 MB RAM
    CD-Drive: TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SN-M242C

Well, I'd be glad about any help. Being used to pre-installed Win systems I never did anything like this.

Thank you in advance!

Beans

Re: Installing from CD: Couldn't mount CD

Possible causes:
    - defect CD
    - defect CD drive

First test: put the CD into another computer, boot it, and check the CD.

Beans

Putting the CD into another computer. Why haven't I thought of that?

I put the CD into the computer I used to burn the CD. The computer didn't find any error on the CD.

==> That means the problem lies with the CD drive, doesn't it?
    Might it help to burn the Boot-CD with the same computer and drive I want to use for the installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, welcome to the fora.

The most likely problem is the 240 MB of memory. In order to verify that Buntu runs you can install the minimal ISO , but you will not get a useful system before you have found some more memory for that poor thing.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Are you sure there is no problem with the CD drive?

I could try to change the CD drive (I've got another one from a broken laptop). But if that is pointless I won't, of course.

I'm a bit surprised though, that 240 MB of RAM aren't enough. At least I understood the "System requirements" differently:
    "We have done many tests and we found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.

With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable."
    (
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu)

So I do have to buy some additional memory? That's bad.

Beans
    Distro

The Lubuntu gang is posting some very optimistic requirements. It gives people unrealistic expectations.

Though it may be possible to install on 240 MB you will not be able to run a browser or a media player at a useful speed, but you should not worry about that now. First step is installing the mini.iso from CD (of course trying both drives) or USB and see how it goes. When we know the results from this you can decide next step.

Beans

Re: Compaq Presario 905EA: Couldn't mount CD

Thank you for the advice.

I tried the mini.iso (downloaded from the page you posted) from CD. The installation process started and I got through the selection of language, keyboard, etc. Last I was asked to enter a name for the laptop in the network. Then there appeared some sort of command line. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what to enter there. Could you give me a link to some sort of tutorial or instructions?

In the beginning of the BOOT process I had to choose between "Install Ubuntu" and "Command Line Install" or something like that. Well I didn't know and therefore selcted "Help". Leaving "Help" the installation process started, so I don't know in which one I am.

EDIT: So far I wasn't asked how I'd like to partition the Hard Disk.
    Last edited by tobias5; September 18th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

http://www.maketecheasier.com/instal...top/2012/02/24

Please don't begin the 'post installation' part yet, just the first part of the install.

Beans

The installation worked this time. I think it didn't the first time, because I hadn't inserted the LAN wire in time.

The installation didn't follow the steps of the instruction exactly, but it worked. I didn't have to enter something into the command line.

There are some selections I didn't understand completely so I'll post them to let you check If I made a mistake. I chose:
    • Installation of Linux Generic
    • Targeted initrd
    • Default value for Ubuntu (first one in list, because I didn't understand)
    • Package"Lubuntu Desktop"

Finishing the Installation the computer rebooted and I had to enter username and password. Then the system waited for my input. Because I didn't know what to enter there I simply turned the computer off by pressing the power button.

What's next?

By the way: I encountered some old 256 MB RAM with PC2100 standard as requested from my computer. It was part of a bad working laptop so I'm not sure if it works properly. Should I put it into the computer? The "new" RAM was made by another company but seems to be of the same sort. My laptop said it (the laptop) had some 240 MB of RAM, a sticker on the RAM says 256 MB. I guess, both is correct in some way? So the old 256 MB and the new 256 MB from the bad laptop could work together?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, give it all the memory sticks that it can digest regardless of brand.

After that try a new minimal install without choosing any packages in step 13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast