Thread: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu / Dell Inspiron 8600 non-PAE

Beans

Smile Re: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    However, I looked up the specs of that Dell Inspiron 8600:
    CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHz 32 bit
    RAM: 512.0 MB (expandable to 2GB)
    Graphics: AGP 4x - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 - 32.0 MB DDR SDRAM

You may be better of with the lighter desktop environment of Lubuntu.
    I totally agree with Impavidus.

I am running Lubuntu on an old Compaq Windows ME machine .. 512MB RAM max. If your computer is RAM expandable to 2GB ... I HIGHLY recommend more than 512MB. That is only enough to slowly chug along ... give yourself at least 1GB ... and Lubuntu should zoom along well. Not so with 512MB. Memory is cheap ... you will not like ANY distro with only 512MB .... it barely performs without more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu

If the OP has not put any extra ram in that machine then yes best to stick with lubuntu if it runs ok.

Beans

Thank you again. some progress ... but no cigar. I figured out that to get the computer to boot from the iso DVD (it IS a DVD, not a CD ...), I needed to do the press F12 business during the initial boot. Doing that, I was given the option of booting from the Hard Drive or from the DVD (ie, my ubuntu iso). I chose the DVD (of course) but got "This kernel required the following features not present on the CPU: pae Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU" Rats!!
    I'm familiar with this nasty message. It appeared the first time I tried to boot ubuntu iso. (That's when I did some net researching on threads like this, and discovered that I probably needed to go to lubuntu. (which I did and which worked.) Maybe I should stick with lubuntu? It seems a shame though.
    Sharon

Beans

Sounds like you might be trying to install a 64-bit UBUNTU on a 32-bit CPU. Either burn a 32-bit iso of your choice, or stick to (32-bit) Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu sounds fine for that machine. It is a really good flavour of ubuntu. You just need to get used to it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WacoJohn View Post
    Sounds like you might be trying to install a 64-bit UBUNTU on a 32-bit CPU. Either burn a 32-bit iso of your choice, or stick to (32-bit) Lubuntu.
    In the original post Sharon says its an i386 ubuntu iso.

Beans
    Distro

Sharon if you decide to stick with lubuntu there's plenty of info out there.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...ion/FAQ/Guides

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Sharon; Hi !

Let me say of Lubuntu ... I have used 'buntu for years and have experienced several desk top environments ..
    Now my desk top of preference after all these years is indeed "xfce" --- same same as your Lubuntu desk top.
    As John advises ... give it a whirl and a bit of time to learn what your capabilities are with that desk top and how to set it up exactly to meet your desires.
    We do run Lubuntu in this house, and we are well pleased with it !

all a process of learning
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thank you all! What helpful and quick responses! My plan - based on what I learned from you: I will investigate how to acquire more memory (per one response which I cannot now find) AND I will stick with lubuntu (per WacoJohn) for a while.
    But, WacoJohn, when you say "click on the upper left toolbar button", you lose me. My desktop has nothing in the upper part of the screen (right or left) - see attached. I have only the buttons shown in the attachment. I want to get and learn GIMP. But how do I "get" GIMP in the first place. What is the technique for installing (for example, on my mac, I move the .dmg file from the "Downloads" folder into the Applications folder)
    Sharon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Sharon; Hi !

Let me say of Lubuntu ... I have used 'buntu for years and have experienced several desk top environments ..
    Now my desk top of preference after all these years is indeed "xfce" --- same same as your Lubuntu desk top.
    As John advises ... give it a whirl and a bit of time to learn what your capabilities are with that desk top and how to set it up exactly to meet your desires.
    We do run Lubuntu in this house, and we are well pleased with it !

all a process of learning
    'lxde' you mean!
    and WacoJohn meant the lower left blue button (where thge windows 'start' would be)*

But yes, Lubuntu is just the thing for a machine of those specs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Support

*when you click this a menu will appear, and under one of it's sub-menus you will find Lubuntu Software Centre. open that and you will find Gimp under the graphics heading.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your new system!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast