Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu / Dell Inspiron 8600 non-PAE

Beans

how go from lubuntu to ubuntu / Dell Inspiron 8600 non-PAE

I made the installation disk “lubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso” for my old Dell Inspiron 8600(a 32 bit machine) I installed lubuntu (no partitions).. yay!. Was sooo happy and confident: the installed lubuntu boots; its browser connects to Internet. Yay! HOWEVER (), the desktop is way different from the one pictured in the user manuals and tutorial screenshots. It's just a blueish screen(with a kind of wavy design in the middle) and a few small icons onthe bottom left (one of which goes to the browser, and one of which lets me logoff or shutdown) and a few small icons on the bottom right. I believe I attached a jpg that I photographed.
    How do I now bring in a full ubuntu with a full desktop – so that I can use it? (as it is now, it's not useful given my ignorance.) I made another disk - “ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-1386.iso” ?? Is that the one I should use to now upgrade my lubuntu to ubuntu to get the full desktop?
    How do I do it? When I now boot, then insert the ubuntu installation disk, nothing happens. Do I have to press some special keys at boot time to get it to go to the ubuntu installation disk?
    As you can see, I'm a rank beginner here – I appreciate any help I can get. Maybe I need a special key sequence? … or maybe it's far more complicated … sorry for this elementary question. I'm totally stuck.
    Sharon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu

Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.
    Linux user #556334 | Ubuntu user #35168

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You have a full desktop you can add panels by right cl the panel and add items or you can add more panels that way also. You can also add whatever you want to the desktop by dragging. Experiment with clicking all the icons and see what's there

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    OP says she's a rank beginner. That link is pretty intense.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sharon2 View Post
    I made the installation disk “lubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso” for my old Dell Inspiron 8600(a 32 bit machine) I installed lubuntu (no partitions).. yay!. Was sooo happy and confident: the installed lubuntu boots; its browser connects to Internet. Yay! HOWEVER (), the desktop is way different from the one pictured in the user manuals and tutorial screenshots. It's just a blueish screen(with a kind of wavy design in the middle) and a few small icons onthe bottom left (one of which goes to the browser, and one of which lets me logoff or shutdown) and a few small icons on the bottom right. I believe I attached a jpg that I photographed.
    How do I now bring in a full ubuntu with a full desktop – so that I can use it? (as it is now, it's not useful given my ignorance.) I made another disk - “ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-1386.iso” ?? Is that the one I should use to now upgrade my lubuntu to ubuntu to get the full desktop?
    How do I do it? When I now boot, then insert the ubuntu installation disk, nothing happens. Do I have to press some special keys at boot time to get it to go to the ubuntu installation disk?
    As you can see, I'm a rank beginner here – I appreciate any help I can get. Maybe I need a special key sequence? … or maybe it's far more complicated … sorry for this elementary question. I'm totally stuck.
    Sharon
    Thats how lubuntu is supposed to look. Too be honest the easiest solution since you already have the ubuntu iso would be to install that and wipe lubuntu.

Caveat. Whats the specs of the machine?

Beans

Thank you philinux! for your quick response. ... but that is exactly my idea too. You said: "install the ubuntu iso and wipe lubuntu" My problem is: How do I do that? When do I insert my ubuntu iso disk? During the boot (of the current lubuntu) or after? Is there a special key sequence to make lubuntu read the ubuntu iso? (specs: I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 32 bit machine ... it used to have Windows XP but that was wiped out (by intention!) when I installed lubuntu.

Again, I truly am a beginner with Ubuntu (but not really a beginner with computers). Have scoured the web to help me go forward ... I bet there is a simple answer ... if I could only express the problem clearer. It seems simple.... Sharon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sharon2 View Post
    Thank you philinux! for your quick response. ... but that is exactly my idea too. You said: "install the ubuntu iso and wipe lubuntu" My problem is: How do I do that? When do I insert my ubuntu iso disk? During the boot (of the current lubuntu) or after? Is there a special key sequence to make lubuntu read the ubuntu iso? (specs: I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 32 bit machine ... it used to have Windows XP but that was wiped out (by intention!) when I installed lubuntu.

Again, I truly am a beginner with Ubuntu (but not really a beginner with computers). Have scoured the web to help me go forward ... I bet there is a simple answer ... if I could only express the problem clearer. It seems simple.... Sharon
    In lubuntu if you right click on the ubuntu iso it should offer to open with a disk burner. You need to burn "as an image". probably to a dvd as it wont fit on a cd. That will make a bootable dvd.
    What are the systems specs.

I'm not familiar with lubuntu either.
    Last edited by philinux; September 17th, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: right click not double click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

on boot. Lubuntu is ubuntu with LXDE desktop.

If your computer can handle Ubuntu you can just open software center search for ubuntu desktop and install it.

Linux is modular so there are plenty of various desktops availbale that you can stick to the base operating system (windows always has only one desktop environment). Ubuntu uses Unity with Gnome, Lubuntu uses LXDE, Xubuntu uses XFCE and Kubuntu uses KDE. besides these major ones there are even more desktops and windows managers available. Mate, Cinamon, Open box, E17, IceWM....
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To convert to pure Ubuntu either wipe the drive and install from a live dvd or use the "Get back to a pure ubuntu" link (which basically says: install ubuntu-desktop and change some other things that aren't really that important).

However, I looked up the specs of that Dell Inspiron 8600:
    CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHz 32 bit
    RAM: 512.0 MB (expandable to 2GB)
    Graphics: AGP 4x - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 - 32.0 MB DDR SDRAM

You may be better of with the lighter desktop environment of Lubuntu.

Beans

Red face Re: how go from lubuntu to ubuntu

Pardon me if I ramble. I am no Linux expert, but might be able to explain things on a beginner level. I hope this doesn't get too long. As you know, Ubuntu Linux comes in many 'flavors'. Each one ALSO comes with choices for preconfigured DESKTOPS. This flavor comes with KDE desktop, that flavor comes with GNOME desktop, and that one with XFCE desktop. I THINK you have Lubuntu .. with the LXDE desktop ... and for an older computer it is probably quite suitable. The further up the ladder you go, the more modern machine you need.

In some cases, you can start with one desktop and even switch to a different one ... and you can learn about that later. Keep in mind, each 'desktop' is highly customizeable.

I believe your problem is more that of a newbie than anything else ... because you can customize just about ANY desktop to your liking. If you spend enough time with what you have, you will learn how to do this. I agree, the default desktop you have looks pretty lean and limited ... but if you click on the upper left toolbar button, you will find (all) applications/utilities that are available to you .. much more than are indicated on the desktop. With those applications, you find Lubuntu to be much more useful than assumed. It is a very good distribution for beginners ... for reasons I won't go into right now.

Know that you can ADD programs .. UNINSTALL programs, and customize to a great extent .. eventually arriving at a VERY useful installation. It will take some time to learn it all, and you will make mistakes .. so keep that LUBUNTU CD handy .. you may have to start from scratch a few times as you learn.

My major point I want to make is to advise you to concentrate on one distribution .... ... some come more 'loaded' up with 'stuff' than others ... but as a beginner, you really want to start learning the fundamentals ... and Lubuntu is a GREAT distro to learn from. Know that different desktops behave differently. For example, the file manager in Lubuntu and in it's "native" desktop works somewhat differently than Windows File Manager or OTHER Linux distro's file manager ... which is why you want to concentrate on ONE distro at a time .. or you can really get overwhelmed in learning.

Any more questions you have .. I will TRY to answer.

If you want to REPLACE Lubuntu with Ubuntu (from the other CD you have), you can BOOT from that CD and just tell it to install Ubuntu and use the entire disk on the computer. It will wipe out the hard drive and install itself (Ubuntu) ... but again .. I recommend you stay with Lubuntu for now .. it will serve your needs quite well .... in my opinion.
    Last edited by WacoJohn; September 17th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast