Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Galago Pro Users?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Happy Galago Pro Users?

I spent several hundred dollars on postage to and from Australia on my Galago purchase. Definitely the worst purchasing mistake I've ever made.

Still, being out of pocket a few hundred dollars is actually better than being stuck with a cheaply made laptop and it's unusable junk keyboard. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with System 76, their pathetic excuses and their rubbish product anymore.

This has taught me a lesson: I'll never ever be buying another laptop again unless I can go try it myself in a shop first. The opinions of manufacturers and fanboys on the internet aren't to be trusted.

Beans

I received my Galago Pro a few days ago, and although I have to return it to get a repair (laptop was dented when I opened it), I have to say for the couple days that I have been using it...I Love it.

I was in constant contact with the system76 support team when I realised there where apparantly some issues with the keyboard, but i have to say its been no issue to me. Im told that my machine is the one with the replacement keyboard (metal plate fixing).

I dont really miss any keys, this might be because of my typing style, I am a bit of a natural 'heavy hitter'.

If this laptop didnt have the dent in it, I would be more than happy to keep it, its got a great screen and I love the look of it.

The only issue that I have with the laptop is the mini display port, when using that to connect my monitor I get a slight flicker that makes my screen blurry, something that doesnt happen when I connect the same monitor with the HDMI port. I hoping that this is something to do with the dent (looks like its been dropped) and they will fix it and return it back to me.

Overall, Im really happy with it, its everything that I hoped it would me.....it also has 16gb ram and a 960 SSD!.....

Beans

Let me just get this out there; the metal plate does fix the flex of the keyboard, but there is a bigger issue with defective keyboards stemming from Clevo, NOT System76.

My unit came with a bad keyboard, but the company I bought it from DID fix it for me. Now that I have my laptop back with a fixed keyboard, I love it.

If your spacebar doesn't register towards the edges, then you have a defective keyboard and I'd honestly shop at a retailer besides System76. Their support for this product has been abysmal, especially in regards to expecting users to install the keyboard themselves -- that's just lazy. Go through a real reseller.

Beans

Thanks Pobega

I have notice that the keyboard I have does not register a hit on the left hand side of the keyboard...do you think that my keyboard is a defective one?

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_cat View Post
    The only issue that I have with the laptop is the mini display port, when using that to connect my monitor I get a slight flicker that makes my screen blurry, something that doesnt happen when I connect the same monitor with the HDMI port. I hoping that this is something to do with the dent (looks like its been dropped) and they will fix it and return it back to me.
    fwiw, I use two external screens, one on the HDMI and one on the mini display port - both work just fine, no flickering or anything.

Hope you get your fixed machine back soon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pobega View Post
    Their support for this product has been abysmal, especially in regards to expecting users to install the keyboard themselves -- that's just lazy. Go through a real reseller.
    I'd generally agree, but in case of oversea customers I for one appreciate the ability to carry out that fix on my own rather than having to send the machine back and forth for weeks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_cat View Post
    Thanks Pobega

I have notice that the keyboard I have does not register a hit on the left hand side of the keyboard...do you think that my keyboard is a defective one?
    If it feels rather flimsy, it could be one of the keyboards that didn't ship with the extra metal plate on the back. If it's not flimsy, then that's not it. You could, if you're comfortable with it, pull the keyboard insert out yourself to check, or ask System76 if they know whether yours came with one of the "fixed" keyboards.

Either way, the "new" keyboards with the metal plate don't address the keystrokes not registering (as multiple blogs and posts on this forum attest). It's just bad design.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

My Galago came originally with the metal plate, but had significant keyboard response issues. Keys missed very frequently when I typed. I had System76 send me a new keyboard, and the responsiveness, while not perfect, is much better with the new one. You can still tell it's a cheap keyboard - the keys just don't feel very sturdy compared to most floating key type keyboards that are shipping now, but at least it is working for the most part.

Beans

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I really like it - with one exception. My previous laptop was an HP Envy-4 and the Galago surpasses it in almost every way - but - it has the same trackpad issue that I hated on the HP unit - and I have resorted to the same solution - disabling the trackpad and using a wireless mouse.
    The trackpad is just too difficult to use when there is no 'feel' for the button location AND trying to push the button shifts the cursor position...

However the wireless mouse works fine and is a 'workaround' that I grew used to with HP.

The display is great, the sound good (previous laptop barely audible ), speed fine, WiFi good, etc.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12