Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    I do run the "System tools->Software Updater" 2-3 times a day! But it doesn't do the 'apt-get upgrade' process right? I'll do that from the terminal then...
    Software Updater should do all kind of updates but for me, I dislike it. I'd like to have more control over my system so I always use the Terminal

As for 10.10, yes as soon as 13.10 is released and the dust settles.
    Be careful that if that system has its GRUB installed to your MBR, if you want to remove it, you will need to re-install GRUB to the MBR. I am not sure if you are Dual-Booting 10.10 with 13.10 or not? but just be careful and if you need any help, let me know

Beans
    Hidden!

I do run the "System tools->Software Updater" 2-3 times a day! But it doesn't do the 'apt-get upgrade' process right? I'll do that from the terminal then... As for 10.10, yes as soon as 13.10 is released and the dust settles.
    It is only another user interface doing the same things as

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    See
    Code:
    man apt-get
    to find out the differences between upgrade and dist-upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Software Updater should do all kind of updates but for me, I dislike it. I'd like to have more control over my system so I always use the Terminal
    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is only another user interface doing the same things as

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    See
    Code:
    man apt-get
    to find out the differences between upgrade and dist-upgrade.
    Thanks both. I'll look up the documentation for apt-get then.

Be careful that if that system has its GRUB installed to your MBR, if you want to remove it, you will need to re-install GRUB to the MBR. I am not sure if you are Dual-Booting 10.10 with 13.10 or not? but just be careful and if you need any help, let me know
    I did select the MBR for grub when I installed 13.10 beta, so it's now 13.10's grub which controls the show for both versions. I think this will be fine as long as there are no 'update-grub' invoked from within 10.10...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I did select the MBR for grub when I installed 13.10 beta, so it's now 13.10's grub which controls the show for both versions. I think this will be fine as long as there are no 'update-grub' invoked from within 10.10...?
    Once you decide to get rid of 10.10, you can just delete its partition using GParted while you are on 13.10 OR even better from a LiveCD or LiveUSB then just run:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    From 13.10

You most welcome

Beans
    Hidden!

Even if there are 'update-grub' invoked from within 10.10, it will not write to the bootloader, so 13.10 should still be in control. But I don't think there will be much updating of 10.10 because it is way past the end of life.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Two things I'd like to highlight, just to make sure the OP understands it clearly

1- Ubuntu 10.10 has reached its EOL already - http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/10/...april-10-2012/

2- Ubuntu Developmental releases are NOT for day-to-day usage:
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/09/06/...ta-1-released/

Thank you

@OP
    Please click on "affect me" on that bug
    You're preaching to the choir here.

Most of us have found that Saucy has been pretty stable through the development cycle to the point where it can be used for day to day computing. It's gotten to the point where the cycle has been fairly boring, so many of us are trying different things, including using pre-release kernels, and enabling gnome-shell ppa's just so that we may find some interesting breakage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12