Thread: Another old user that couldn't comply--call it a senior moment

Beans

Another old user that couldn't comply--call it a senior moment

I have been user djchandler since 2007, coinciding with my installation of Dapper, accumulated nearly 600 beans with supportive and helpful posts, Dipped in Ubuntu. After registering for the Ubuntu One account, I apparently forgot to update it to my new email address as I did with my Ubuntu Forums account. Somehow I got the idea that was taken care of when I updated to the universal log-in system associated with my launchpad account. Furthrmore, sometimes people just forget things, or forget whether they did them or not. I am registered Linux user #444636 as well as registered Ubuntu user #15239. I had articles under my old user name in the Team Ubuntu Folding@Home wiki, including artwork and an article describing manual installation of the Folding@Home client at these URLs:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHom...uBioHazard.png
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fo.../ManualInstall

Immediately upon assigning of the new UF account, it was obvious that I had made an error. Curiously, its an somewhat intentional discrepancy on my part between the unified log-in and the Ubuntu One account that caused this problem, done as a test of the unified log-in system. Besides, I wasn't really intending to make use the Ubuntu One account (I don't buy into the cloud ecosystem--I keep my own server at home) and I didn't have the foresight or expectation that the UF accounts database would be compromised, or that the resolution would be to make the Ubuntu One log-in the means by which access to all other Ubuntu associated accounts would be based. Considering the SSO use of correct data that could only be applied to me, I fail to understand the lack of flexibility in the system and its failure to link my accounts.

Obviously the system found my old data, as the account I used was found, hence the similarity between my old account name and the new one. The SSO found my name, user name, old email and had a list of email accounts that are or were associated with several of my Ubuntu accounts. So I thought everything was fine until seeing the new and absolutely powerless account name. The following URL accesses my old account data:

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=256031

I found where another old user had a similar problem. Putting it as nicely as I can, the administrator's response was less than friendly. Handling this user with a little diplomacy may have kept a loyal user rather than further alienating a dissatisfied end-user. The response emphasized the administrator's sense of self-importance rather than address the issues raised by an eight year veteran. I thought I had done everything right too after looking over the data from my account that was retrieved, but I had a similar problem nonetheless. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175221

Please resolve this issue so I can maintain my earned and proper status in this forum. Reviewing my transaction and ascertaining why the system in place failed to properly recognize me may be of benefit also.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Another old user that couldn't comply--call it a senior moment

You used the wrong e-mail address to enable the 2 accounts to associate.

Correct that error and let us know when you've done it.

When someone is around they can disassociate this account, after that you should be able to login to the old account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by djchandler2 View Post
    I found where another old user had a similar problem. Putting it as nicely as I can, the administrator's response was less than friendly. Handling this user with a little diplomacy may have kept a loyal user rather than further alienating a dissatisfied end-user. The response emphasized the administrator's sense of self-importance rather than address the issues raised by an eight year veteran. I thought I had done everything right too after looking over the data from my account that was retrieved, but I had a similar problem nonetheless. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175221

Please resolve this issue so I can maintain my earned and proper status in this forum. Reviewing my transaction and ascertaining why the system in place failed to properly recognize me may be of benefit also.
    I feel the response by Elfy was warranted, as there is adequate notice that the way we log into the forum has changed. The user assumed that because he was a member since 2005, that he should get special treatment, he obviously didn't read any of the notices, and both his replies were confrontational.

We are more than happy to help our members access their original accounts, all we ask is that as with all things on the forum, they follow the Forum rules. If rick.reiter had posted in a reasonable matter, instead of blaming us for his troubles, we could have have this problem solved in a very short time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I forgot to add that I disassociated SSO from the djchandler2 account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I feel the response by Elfy was warranted, as there is adequate notice that the way we log into the forum has changed. The user assumed that because he was a member since 2005, that he should get special treatment, he obviously didn't read any of the notices, and both his replies were confrontational.

We are more than happy to help our members access their original accounts, all we ask is that as with all things on the forum, they follow the Forum rules. If rick.reiter had posted in a reasonable matter, instead of blaming us for his troubles, we could have have this problem solved in a very short time.
    Just as a FYI for anyone - the comment in THIS thread relates to the second post in 2175221

That said I agree with cariboo907's comments regarding that.