Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Skype

Beans

Alternatives to Skype

Greetings! I'm looking for an alternative to Skype that has some specific features.

It would be nice if it had a native 64-bit version. It should connect through some server, instead of making a direct connection, so firewall settings aren't an issue. It also needs to be able to record the call, and have a Windows version available.

Is there any such thing?

Beans

Re: Alternatives to Skype

Hi,

Sorry, but I have to say no. Skype's one of a kind.

Kindest regards,

Joseph Wraith
    Last edited by Joseph Wraith; September 18th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "There's a bad side of everyone"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Gannin.

Take a look at Jitsi.

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!

There are many VOIP applications that could in theory be alternatives to skype, but the problem is that the vast majority of computer users only know skype and therefore use it. None of the alternatives can talk to skype at the moment at least, so your search, whilst admirable in many ways, is likely to be unsuccessful.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

To be clear, I don't want something that uses the Skype network. I want something that uses its own network, with server-based voice chat and the ability to record the chats. Something that works similar to Skype, but a program with its own network and its own servers, that works on both Linux and Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

there is no good alternative. probably because even skype had problems with money...
    i mean there are soem alternatives but possibly more expencive.

but if you don't need phone there are quite a few messnagers out there. not sure which ones can record the video calls. maybe some can with plugins or something.

i think skype connects the users to make data transfer more efficient.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

jitsi

+1 for Jitsi

I use it and it is great.

Then there are also Linphone and Blink.

https://jitsi.org/
    http://www.linphone.org/
    http://icanblink.com/

One major problem in breaking free from Skype is that both the software and the protocol are closed, proprietary. That means that you can't just connect a program to the Skype network and gradually begin phasing out the Skype parts. With Jitsi or Linphone, you'll have to run them parallel to Skype. The good news is both have superior sound quality to Skype, so after you start using either one, you get used to it and dislike using Skype any more. You'll also have to get people to install Jitsi or Linphone or Blink along side Skype, if they have it, on their machines. That's usually not hard, especially if they are Firefox users. Firefox gained a lot of goodwill from people and that good experience makes them more willing to try other options.
    The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.

Beans

Thanks for the replies so far. For those pointing out that you cannot connect to the Skype network without Skype, that's just fine, because as I already said in a previous post, I do *not* want a program that connects to the Skype network. I simply used Skype as a familiar reference point, to say a program that works similar to Skype, in that both parties connect to a server in order to have free Internet voice chat, rather than needing to connect directly to each other's computers.

Here are my main goals:

1. Free Internet voice chat
    2. Connects to a server, instead of using a direct connection
    3. Chats can be recorded
    4. Available for Linux and Windows
    5. Not Skype. Not the Skype network. Not Skype. And, not Skype.

The ultimate goal is to be able to record Internet voice chat with friends for a podcast. Without Skype.

I'll check out some of the links mentioned above.

Beans

Teamspeak does this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    Teamspeak does this.
    But you can record Teamspeak for the sake of a podcast?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast