Thread: Thunderrd: will current thunderbird (used with Win) work after Ubuntu install

Beans

Thunderrd: will current thunderbird (used with Win) work after Ubuntu install

Currently using win Thunderbird with Win XP and 7. Want to install UBUNTU on both computers (had enough of windows). Question: will my current Thunderbird (that I am using with win) work with Ubuntu after I install it, or must I use the NEW Thunderbird install that comes with Ubuntu (therefore I must configure all my email accounts)? I will take out Win on both computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderrd: will current thunderbird (used with Win) work after Ubuntu install

I think you will have to install the Thunderbird that comes with Ubuntu. However you should be able to transfer your, address book, email folders, calendar etc to the new install. If you go into Account Settings and look at Server Settings it should indicate where your local directory is. You should be able to copy the folder where your emails are stored (mine is called Thunderbird Profile TODAY) Within TB on you Win system backup the address book (Tools/Address Book/Tools/Export), Lightning also has back up settings. Transfer all of these folders to an external drive and copy into the appropraiate folders in your Ubuntu install (usually emails are stored within the Home folder, in .Thunderbird/(preceded by random letters)default/mail.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderrd: will current thunderbird (used with Win) work after Ubuntu install

Apart from a menu to export addressbook, mail and settings to a backup, I think there is a menu to import them from a backup too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Apart from a menu to export addressbook, mail and settings to a backup, I think there is a menu to import them from a backup too.
    That would be an excellent way of doing it but I am not sure if it is that straight forward. This is from the Mozilla site
    Thunderbird
    Thunderbird doesn't have a built-in capability to export, import or merge profiles.

See THIS for more info on migrating Thunderbird from Win to Linux
    Last edited by SuperFreak; September 16th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I moved both my Thunderbird & Firefox profiles to a shared NTFS data partition. Then from both Ubuntu & XP had the same email & bookmarks. I also copy entire profiles to laptop when travelling & back when I return.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Dennis_Guerra,

Sad news: No, unfortunately you can't run your current thunderbird in Ubuntu mainly because Ubuntu Linux can't run the same executable files as windows. Thunderbird's main application file on windows is an .exe which won't run in Linux (unless you use wine, but that's a whole different story).

Happy news: You can definitely back your data up however, and import it to the thunderbird in Ubuntu. Mozilla's forums and tutorials likely have a detailed description of how to do this. Some other members have listed links above which should be helpful.

All the best to you and your switch to Ubuntu. I think you'll find the switch easy and very rewarding
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thuderbird user data data (emails, addresses...) as well as Firefox user data (bookmarks etc) from windows can easilly be moved to Ubutnu (to linux version of these two programmes). Same goes for other data. documents, pictures...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup