Thread: How to make partition from hardisk ???

Beans

How to make partition from hardisk ???

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 but i forgot to make partitions. How can i make partitions from my 500gb Toshiba hardisk. I uses Gparted disk manager, but it won't allowing me to make a single partition.

Please HELP !!! me out from this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to make partition from hardisk ???

Welcome to the forums!

If I understand correctly you have installed 13.04 but you have installed it to one partition instead of setting up multiple partitions?

How to Partition/Resizing Partitions

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi gurupal_singh,

If you haven't set up documents and a lot of personal data that you don't want to lose yet, your easiest choice is to reinstall from a live CD. It will give you the option to "install alongside current Ubuntu" or "replace current Ubuntu" or "something else". Choose "Something else" to delete all the partitions so that its free space. Then make one partition that's 3GB less than all the storage space. Choose to make it the EXT4 journaling file system and mount point as "/". The the remaining 3GB of free space you can make into a new partition and select swap from the file system type list.

Then proceed with the install and you'll be all set, your swap will be set up properly and no more issues.

Hope this helps!
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gurupal_singh View Post
    Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 but i forgot to make partitions. How can i make partitions from my 500gb Toshiba hardisk. I uses Gparted disk manager, but it won't allowing me to make a single partition.

Please HELP !!! me out from this.
    Hi, can you post a screenshot of gparted, and the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

This will allow us to see your current disk configuration, and allow us to help you further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi...
    You cannot make shrink the current partition while you are still using it.
    You have two options.
    Reinstall as a previous user suggested OR you can burn PartedMagic (or any live cd for that matter) on a cd/usb, boot using it and then resize the current partition and make new partitions.
    All the best

Beans
    Distro

I would do the swap as suggested but then a 15-20GB for / and the rest for /Home. That way when you reinstall or mess up system your docs and config files are unaffected and you can just not ever reformat the /hoe partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gurupal_singh View Post
    I uses Gparted disk manager, but it won't allowing me to make a single partition.
    I don't understand. Do you mean gparted puts up an error or that you don't know how to proceed? If it gives an error, please post it. Otherwise follow one of the other answers given here.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may of forgotten to make partitions but Ubuntu did not forget. When Ubuntu was installed it made 2 partitions - one for Ubuntu and one for Swap partition. If your machine has a boot system called BIOS and not EFI then you will only be allowed to have 4 primary partitions on the hard disk. You may have already had 3 primary partitions. Ubuntu then would have created a fourth primary partition and then turned it into an Extended partition and in the Extended Partition Ubuntu whould have then created 2 Logical partitions - one for Ubuntu and one for swap.

Gparted cannot create any more primary partitions because the allocation of 4 primary partitions have been used up but if we know what we are doing we can use Gparted to create more Logical partitions inside the Extended partitions.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@grahammechanical - Ubuntu makes itself a swap partition? it didnt do that for me in any of my installs....

Gurupal_singh, Can you upload a screenshot of what you see when you select your HD in gparted please? That would give us an idea of whats going on if we can see how many partitions you have, etc.

The problem may be that you cant edit the partition youre working from, so maybe try booting from a live ubuntu cd and using gparted to resize the partitions. Be careful not to delete though, or you could lose your ubuntu install!

All the best,
    -CeejRab