Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blank screen after booting (details in post)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Blank screen after booting (details in post)

Ok have you checked to see if the drive is mounted? I know thats a big DUH but try booting from the live CD and open disk utility, (search for it in the dash, by pressing the windows key on the keyboard) and click the drive from the left hand side list.

Down at the bottom it should say "unmount volume", this means it is mounted. If it says "mount volume" then you should do that.

If possible, take a screenshot of that disk utility screen for me with the linux drive selected, that might help me see whats going on.
    -CeejRab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CeejRab View Post
    Ok have you checked to see if the drive is mounted? I know thats a big DUH but try booting from the live CD and open disk utility, (search for it in the dash, by pressing the windows key on the keyboard) and click the drive from the left hand side list.

Down at the bottom it should say "unmount volume", this means it is mounted. If it says "mount volume" then you should do that.

If possible, take a screenshot of that disk utility screen for me with the linux drive selected, that might help me see whats going on.
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your help. I did what you suggested, and when I ran disk utility, my SSD was not mounted. But I thought thats how it should be when running on live CD? I mounted and took a screenshot like you requested and have attached it to this post. I am posting this when booted into the LIve CD so something still works!

One thing I noticed is that the all the Ubuntu partitions are under "Extended" section. I hope this is not in anyway interfering with the login/boot process.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by linuxnovice; September 16th, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Custom Build:
    Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

It is pretty confusing, but yes perhaps trying the default driver would be good, i'll look into it and get back to you in a minute. In recovery mode can you access things normally? If so, try to go to system settings and click "Additional Drivers". See what the choices are there, maybe take a screenshot for me so i can see. If theres none listed, nevermind the screenshot.
    -CeejRab

Beans

I dont have X in recovery just shell. As for accesing things normally, there is a shell and my home folder is there and I am able to apt-get update/upgrade and install stuff. But like I said no X and when I type startx, the screen just freezes. I will try it again and get back to you.

I have already installed two drivers for the graphics card: one from nvidia directly as shown in the link in the update and the second from the repositories nvidia-310 (and its dependencies). So, I am not sure what would be the "default" here now. Also, if I do install the default, would it just get "written" over these other drivers?
    Custom Build:

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxnovice View Post
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your help. I did what you suggested, and when I ran disk utility, my SSD was not mounted. But I thought thats how it should be when running on live CD? I mounted and took a screenshot like you requested and have attached it to this post. I am posting this when booted into the LIve CD so something still works!

One thing I noticed is that the all the Ubuntu partitions are under "Extended" section. I hope this is not in anyway interfering with the login/boot process.

Thanks.

Ok thats great, it doesnt really matter if its mounted or not in the live CD but knowing that it wasnt helps the purpose here. Now if you can log into the full install on your HD (unplug (if USB) or remove (if CD) the liveCD device and boot the computer's ubuntu install in recovery mode). If it will let you log in and do things, check in there and see if the SSD is mounted. Dont do anything, just screenshot again. (dismiss all of this if you cant access the computer's ubuntu install at all and your only way of viewing it is from windows or the live CD)

Im looking in the driver aspect and also EUID info for your monitor... I'll keep you posted!
    -CeejRab

Beans

When I run startx when on recovery mode I get this error:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: No such file or directory
    xinit: unexpected signal 2

Please note that by this time I have already pressed Ctrl-C.
    Custom Build:

Beans

How do I check is my disks are mounted?
    Custom Build:

Beans
    Distro

I dont have X in recovery just shell. As for accesing things normally, there is a shell and my home folder is there and I am able to apt-get update/upgrade and install stuff. But like I said no X and when I type startx, the screen just freezes. I will try it again and get back to you.

I have already installed two drivers for the graphics card: one from nvidia directly as shown in the link in the update and the second from the repositories nvidia-310 (and its dependencies). So, I am not sure what would be the "default" here now. Also, if I do install the default, would it just get "written" over these other drivers?

If you can open a terminal window, type "gnome-control-center". This should hopefully open your system settings. If so, you'll be able to see listed driver in the additional driver section.

Yes, installing the default would "overwrite" the others, but not completely it would just use that instead of the others you installed.
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Distro

When I run startx when on recovery mode I get this error:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: No such file or directory
    xinit: unexpected signal 2

Please note that by this time I have already pressed Ctrl-C.
    whoa, thats a problem! hmmm...
    -CeejRab

Beans
    Distro

How do I check is my disks are mounted?
    well it sounds like you cant access disk utility from anything but a LiveCD and the live cd doesnt do any good in this instance because its acting as the host computer so mounting or unmounting there will only mount or unmount them to the liveCD not to the actual computer's ubuntu OS.

If you could access disk utility from the main OS then you could make sure theyre mounted. But im thinking thats probably not your issue now that im seeing is a xorg problem.....
    -CeejRab

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast