Thread: X11VNC Server on power-on...?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation X11VNC Server on power-on...?

Hi all,

Just a quick question about X11VNC - most of my machines here at home are Windows machines, which I have set up to use VNC servers for remote desktop. They're all currently set so the VNC service starts before the user logs in.

Now....I have X11VNC Server set up on my netbook (running Linux Mint 14) and an older machine I have Xubuntu 12.04 installed on. It is working great on both, however, because of the way Linux works by default, I cannot connect to the VNC server unless the user is already logged in. This is an issue when I need to restart the machines remotely for whatever reason or if the power were to go out and the machines restarted...I can't log in remotely until I or somebody else was physically there to log on to the machine FROM the machine.

I've looked this up on Google and I've tried but found no methods that have worked exactly for me yet. Is there a way to set up X11VNC to start as a system service BEFORE User Login (and still use the password I have set for the VNC server...?)

Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: X11VNC Server on power-on...?

http://seb.so/vnc-from-boot-without-logging-in-ubuntu-lubuntu-xubuntu-and-mint-lmde/

I also use the xrdp package so Windows Remote Desktop can be used to access Linux.
    Last edited by dcstar; September 17th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: X11VNC Server on power-on...?

Thanks, those instructions seemingly did the trick! I had actually tried using them before, but noticed this time around that I had made one TINY mistake last time that must've prevented from working!

A humble thanks for your help