Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Usb 3.0 port slow

Beans

Question Usb 3.0 port slow

Almost search every page of google search related to the issue of USB 3.0 speed in Ubuntu 13.04 or 12.10. I am using Sony USB drive 16GB and in Windows 8 I get around 70MB/sec and in Ubuntu it takes forever, thanks to the LED of my USB drive which shows that the data is being copied even after the progress bar disappears.

I tried my USB 3.0 as NTFS in LIVE CD it works really good but my installed Ubuntu there is just no hope. Is there any way to check or test what is really going on in the background to resolve this issue

Beans

Re: Usb 3.0 port slow

Anyone or the Ubuntu support has died totally since 12.04 ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Writing 'bump' once a day is accepted here. But don't complain about bad support, we are all volunteers

How did you install Ubuntu? What file system, what version are you trying now (13.04)? And what flavour of Ubuntu?

I'm asking because it makes a big difference depending on the computer. Also please specify the computer, at least cpu, ram (size) and graphics chip/card.

What kind of USB 3 drive is it (a pendrive)?

Have a look at the paragraph about USB speed in this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i have the same problem i am using ubuntu 13.04 and i have a sony external drive with usb 3.0 port ubuntu recognizes my drive but drive doesn't show up
    after typing lsusb i got this

cooldudeabhi@cooldudeabhi-Studio-1450:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:6407 Microdia
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 054c:05bf Sony Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1bbb:0017 T & A Mobile Phones
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 413c:8161 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Keyboard
    Bus 004 Device 004: ID 413c:8162 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Touchpad [Synaptics]
    Bus 004 Device 005: ID 413c:8160 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 365 Bluetooth
    cooldudeabhi@cooldudeabhi-Studio-1450:~$

see it recognizes but why don't my hard drive show up? this happened after last update before it was working fine
    see the attached picture sidebar doesn't even show it

ohhhh while i was writting this post i tried again........and my ext. showed after 5min. i attached it..............any sol. why it is too slow?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi AbhimanyuAryan

I have no idea why it takes 5 minutes to mount your USB 3 drive. Maybe there is some hand-shaking problem between the firmware and Ubuntu's driver. I think it might help if you specify your system (hardware and software) according to post #3.

Do you run Ubuntu Studio? Are you running the low latency kernel?

What happens if you reboot? Will the computer find the USB drive faster?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AbhimanyuAryan View Post

ohhhh while i was writting this post i tried again........and my ext. showed after 5min. i attached it..............any sol. why it is too slow?
    I think your experiencing the bug I reported here. It use to take me 5-minutes on most USB devices, but not all. That had me confusted at first.
    I compiled kernel-3.8.0 using the patch and now what took 5-min takes 1-second. Also another USB device never mount, and now it to takes 1-sec to mount.
    It ends up being a 2-line patch, but takes 1 hour or more to compile?!
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Writing 'bump' once a day is accepted here. But don't complain about bad support, we are all volunteers

How did you install Ubuntu? What file system, what version are you trying now (13.04)? And what flavour of Ubuntu?

I'm asking because it makes a big difference depending on the computer. Also please specify the computer, at least cpu, ram (size) and graphics chip/card.

What kind of USB 3 drive is it (a pendrive)?

Have a look at the paragraph about USB speed in this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

I totally agree on that. As you can see it was 2 days ago I posted the issue I am facing from past few months. That was the only way to get attention of experts like you. Honestly, one comment brings a lot of HOPE to noobs like me by volunteers like you which makes me volunteer for others in future. Anyways I am sorry if I was really being mean.

Laptop Model :- Lenovo G580 (20157)
    Ubuntu Installation Manner :- Did a clean installation on the first day of official release of Ubuntu 13.04 after 12.10 or by removing 12.10 entirely.
    Filesystem :- Please find the attachment of the screenshot. (First three partitions are of Windows and then remaining are EXT of linux.)
    Ubuntu Flavor :- Unity
    Cpu :- Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4
    Memory :- 8GB
    Graphics :- Intel® Ivybridge Mobile
    Flash Drive :- Sony 8GB Flash (Gives 40MB/sec on Windows 7 while copying from and 60MB/sec while copying to)

Beans

I have no issue of detecting the flash drive and this is not just one flash drive any USB with 3.0 or even 2.0. After data is copied (assumed copied as per progress bar) it still keeps copying the data in background whereas windows once it is finished at progress bar. I can safely remove the drive without any issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good to know all this as i'm considering purchasing a Western Digital external hard drive but I'd be using USB 2.0 on this drive just to keep backup's of files.
    "Ah, for the days when a commanding officer could dump a useless minion out the airlock without having to worry about filling in forms..." ―Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Beans

I don't know, Ubuntu is just so FLAWLESS then how come USB 3.0 on NTFS behaves so strange.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast