Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
    Well, you might be less safe on XP, but at least you can use usb-wifi.... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...569&p=12979964.
    You must have extraordinary bad luck or it may be your shopping habits.. I have used a few usb wifi cards in the past on different machines and except for one all worked out of the box. the one exception worked as well after editing some config files and doesn't require that any more for newer kernels. I didn't do any particular research, I just picked the cheapest ones (if they didn't work I could exchange within a week)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You must have extraordinary bad luck or it may be your shopping habits.. I have used a few usb wifi cards in the past on different machines and except for one all worked out of the box. the one exception worked as well after editing some config files and doesn't require that any more for newer kernels. I didn't do any particular research, I just picked the cheapest ones (if they didn't work I could exchange within a week)
    That's been my experience as far as USB wifi goes, but I also try to stick to Alfa's.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by leithanne2 View Post
    I'm 64, female, educated and retired. I am your target group.

Girls read directions.
    Retired folks have the time to learn new stuff.
    My generation fixed stuff, instead of buying new. I ran to the corner tube tester shop, in the 50's, so my Daddy could tell which tv tube was bad.

I've been dabbling with Linux for a long time. Mostly on really bad hardware. Had a Compaq 2100 as a kitchen computer til the keyboard crapped out. But it was a toy to play with, and I never got much past sudo apt-get.

Until Micro$oft pulled the plug on my beloved Dimension 2350. I just couldn't let it go. Lubuntu runs better on it than XP ever did, and, with all the free time I have, I'm gonna really learn linux. And spread the word.
    Welcome

Ask for help when you need it!
    Help other people at the Ubuntu forums when you have the time and knowledge.
    I'm working on 3 XP friends.

Friend #1 is an adorable old codger who thinks he's smarter than hackers, and can run XP, safely. Not much hope there. Wish I could let him see how much better Lubuntu runs on crappy old hardware, but we're on different coasts.

Friend #2 doesn't understand the danger, is too busy... I'll get him, yet.

Friend #3 said "XP in my opinion was the best..I hated to see that one go..Right now I'm using Google Chrome..and so far, it is pretty good." She's the one that I really worry about.

So what do I tell these folks? #1 and #2 are perfectly capable of upgrading to Lubuntu. Just praying for #3
    Sometimes it is most difficult to convince old friends.

One thing that might impress on them is to install a full Lubuntu system into a fast USB pendrive (I would suggest a USB 3 pendrive according to this link to USB 2 and USB 3 speed tests for installers) and run your own complete personalized environment on their computer just like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hello again!

Another switching from XP to Kubuntu 13.10 on neighbour PC (Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, April 09 , 2014).

First testing the OS with USB live disk. He like it very much.

More to come?
    I hope this...
    Kubuntu 14.04

Beans

Another XP replacement using Xubuntu 14.04 on a Dell Inspiron 546 with AMD 7550 and 2GB
    Guy got his AT&T 4G card today and 14.04 runs it out of the box.
    They bought a HP AIO printer with the money saved
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; April 11th, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Can you point me in the direction to get the pinned desktop items and how to do that? I am very new to this, and have converted an old dell demension to xubuntu.

thank you, John

Beans

My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

It is really hard to steal some time to write something nowadays, specially it is the final week in Trusty Tahr Cycle and the very first LTS version for Ubuntu GNOME.

Anyway, I thought I have to write this

Part1: Things you will miss when you will start using GNU/Linux

Happy Reading

Beans

It's a good project, but it will be hard. People use Windows since ever, I am not seeing my Pap using Ubuntu, it is very hard for most of people as the linux is for "hackers" concept remain very strong aroung.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingLeonidas View Post
    It's a good project, but it will be hard. People use Windows since ever, I am not seeing my Pap using Ubuntu, it is very hard for most of people as the linux is for "hackers" concept remain very strong aroung.
    Actually quite the opposite. The completely clueless users wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you set it up for them.

I don't know how clueless your pap is or whether that was implied as people often use their parents as stereotypes for computer illiteracy, that is kind of wrong and offensive to parents. But now disclaimer out of the way, here we go. I bet my dad wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I switch out his Windows 7 for kubuntu and use wine for some of his xp era stuffs. The only problem is that he will miss his aquarium screen saver, which unfortunately doesn't work in wine and even if it does, wouldn't function like a screensaver. I have yet to find a screensaver for Linux that provides a 3d realistic aquarium for folks like my dad.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 12th, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast