Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

@surfaceunits: this unluckily is one of the problems also for us: a printer for labels that has got new drivers in 7 but not in any Linux distro... I've thought about testing the program with Wine or installing VirtualBox (and then an XP VM), but my colleagues don't like this idea since the say the procedure would become much more complicated than today...sic! In the meanwhile our IT (external) maintenance company has proposed to our Property a special price for Win 7 to convert all the machines... (double sic!). It's hard, but I don't give up!

@sudodus: Sweden and the northern europe Countries are very advanced about recycling electronic devices (and not only recycling!). It's a reasonable argument to buy a second-hand computer, but maybe it's easier to do it for a private than a Company. I should be able to run the OS on existing company's computers, but I see I'm not always lucky with that hardware... The President Roosevelt used to say: Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.... I find this is a wonderful aphorism and it's what I have to do (if I'll be able!!)

@mastablasta: yes, you are right: there are many existing guides, but I've not found anything for real beginners. If we want that a Linux OS was used as a full normal alternative thing than other OSs, I think that we have to create a simpler and more diffused basic culture about this world. This is a constructive criticism: have you seen that in short time Android's devices have become so diffused? The same scheme should be adopted by "Linuxians": then people will naturally extend their knowledge to more complicated arguments, but (and it's also my personal experience) starting from zero I've not found a 'starting point' that can facilitate the introduction to this world, you have to 'googling' too much for all -from basics to those more complicated.

The culture about IT in general is often underestimated: the actual society works with computer machines, but it's easier to capture attention saying an aphorims in latin than showing the possibility to have a working PC with another Operative System! A computer is not (only) an household appliance, but it's often considered at that same level.
    In any case, I think that a person has to feel free to "only" turn on a computer without knowing at all what is happening inside it, since I believe that a computer is a tool but not an end (except sometimes for we passionate, of course!!).
    Last edited by stilnovo1; March 5th, 2014 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

another replacement install on a P4 2.4Ghz Del Dimension
    Last edited by SurfaceUnits; March 6th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Inquirer poll shows 9% of XP users will move to Linux:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...d-of-life-poll

Beans
    Distro

A (maybe silly) question: has Lubuntu Team contemplated something special for the 14.04 launching?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Inquirer poll shows 9% of XP users will move to Linux:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...d-of-life-poll
    It is 10% now, more than those who would move to Windows8 (9%)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    @surfaceunits: this unluckily is one of the problems also for us: a printer for labels that has got new drivers in 7 but not in any Linux distro... I've thought about testing the program with Wine or installing VirtualBox (and then an XP VM), but my colleagues don't like this idea since the say the procedure would become much more complicated than today...sic! In the meanwhile our IT (external) maintenance company has proposed to our Property a special price for Win 7 to convert all the machines... (double sic!). It's hard, but I don't give up!
    At where I worked the (hp) laser printer had xp driver but not Win7 (it worked out of the box with Ubuntu though). Their solution was to keep one old machine on XP just to use the printer. It wasn't necessary for all machines to be able to access the printer, if you want to print something go to the XP machine, otherwsie use the Windows7 ones (all of them basically) You guys may be able to do the same, upgrade one machine to Win7 just for printing (or just keep XP and cut it off from the internet) Use Linux on the rest.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks monkeybrain20122 for the suggest, I'll propose it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi everyone,

Maybe you're wondering why Ali is so silent? well, I'm not, I'm so busy

How?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...ertCompetition

37 and 2 more on their way to be converted to Linux. Actually, one has been converted by having hard time:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209918

And the other is coming - my neighbour is coming now to me to give it to me.

You see, if I'm silent here, it doesn't mean I'm doing nothing

Now, beat my record if you can

Thank you!

P.S.
    These are the installations I do myself. I have no idea how many people I have converted by the word of mouth and other means.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi Folks!

Proudly announce switching from XP to Xubuntu on neighbour PC (AMD Athlon 1800+, 1GB RAM, SiS Graphic adapter, March 13, 2014).
    In a place where everyone knows only windows OS and programs, it is hard to make a change.

Still there is a hope when they have to choose to use old hardware or spent money to buy new PC (and new windows license).

I talk to lot of people about the advantage of linux OS, and I believe the situation will change soon in advantage of low-resource distros.
    Last edited by daniroma; April 10th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Here is something from PC World about XP alts based on Ubuntu:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21076...-a-new-pc.html

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast