Thread: Enhancements

john348 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Enhancements

Hello, it's better to make when moving files to another folder, to add the option to "move all files and create new names if names already exist", like in Windows 8.

Make the taskbar with the option to show the name of the program like "small taskbar buttons" in Windows 8.

When using Wine, show the icon of the program itself and not the icon of Wine.

Make Babylon translation software compatible with Linux, or a good alternative.

Make Deluge torrent able to connect to from another PC browser like Utorrent and Bittorrent.

Make it easy to choose mouse cursors like in Windows.

When one presses in File Explorer on the directory path, make it editable and copyable like in Windows, for example when pressing on the link bar in File Explorer it changes to text like home/john/folder1

Beans

Re: Enhancements

You are welcome to contribute patches to add the File Manager features you desire. The source code is open and available to you.
    You are welcome to contribute an icon feature to Wine. The source code is open and available to you.
    You are welcome to contribute a mouse-cursor-selector to the control panel. The source code is open and available to you.

Not kidding: We really want people who identify problems to get involved and help code the solutions.

Babylon is proprietary software. Ubuntu developers do not have access to the source code, nor do they have permission from the owner to distribute it. If you can influence Babylon's owners to change those two obstacles, Other members of this community will be happy to help you compile a Linux version and package it for Debian/Ubuntu.

Deluge already has a web UI. The 'deluge-web' package has been in Software Center for many years.

This forum is mostly users. Few developers visit. Most developers are volunteers, have their own projects and interests, and little interest in drive-by suggestions (if you were them, would you?). Paid engineers and developers work on the project they are told to work on, mostly release-critical stuff.
    Ubuntu is not a company, and you are not their customer. You have joined the project - you are now a participant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I thought you already contact the software developers? This thread remind me of this 'old' thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2255603

john348 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

i thought that thread was closed, anyway i dont know how to make these changes in ubutnu myself but skilled developers can do it and they're important...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can visit FOSS webpage to find the (open-source)software developer you want to contact. Just think Ubuntu as a hardware, that people use it for developing, and improving Ubuntu(Linux), and that software is not developed by Ubuntu developers. It's others volunteer that create or maintain the software, not Ubuntu developers. They(Ubuntu devs) just use the softwares to make Ubuntu as a functional operating system. Thus, some apps you want in this thread is already available on the repos. You just need to explore and find it. As mentioned by ian-weisser, Babylon is a propietary software and Ubuntu devs cannot touch the source code nor distribute it for Ubuntu. So you need to figure some workaround. Finally, Ubuntu is not Windows. If you want Ubuntu to be like Windows, why don't use Windows itself instead?

PS - This place is for discussion, it's rare for developers to come here (though it's possible). Better contact the developer to get the answers for your question about this thread. You should try to learn some programming to help yourself to complete your job and fulfill your needs. Maybe, a lot of developers out there trying to improve Ubuntu and got the same thought as yours. but, sometimes...doing it by yourself is the best way to do. (I'm building my custom Linux using LFS though, it's not that hard if you willingly to take time to learn)
    Last edited by flaymond; January 21st, 2015 at 02:44 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by john348 View Post
    i thought that thread was closed, anyway i dont know how to make these changes in ubutnu myself but skilled developers can do it and they're important...
    I have found that when developers pay attention or respond to unsolicited enhancement requests, they get thoroughly flooded with unwelcome pleas to add-this, add-that, do-this, do-that, change-this, change-that.
    Most developers in Ubuntu develop for fun...and most don't find that flood to be fun.
    So they usually ignore such requests. That's also a big reason they don't hang out in this forum.

You don't need to be a developer to contribute, to test, to triage, to write documentation, package, etc. When developers recognize you as a regular fellow contributor, then they are more likely to listen to your design and feature ideas.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

don't know about Babylon and I am not sure about wine (perhaps play on Linux adds that icon functionality) but there rest of features are found in Kubuntu (KDE). I would be quite shocked if they didn't exists in default Ubuntu. e.g. I am pretty sure that default Ubuntu nautilus file manager can be made to show you path that you can copy. there are plenty of features that are there but not default. there are also plenty of plugins to enhance the apps. they are not packed in default progs. for various reasons. often because an outsider maintains them.

mouse cursors - I am not sure how it is in Ubuntu but it can be done in KDE. probably in Ubuntu as well. although I remember than when they came out with unity there was plenty of theming apps missing. they probably added many by now.

note that Gnome (on which Ubuntu's Unity interface is based) has a philosophy to not show all possible features by default as to not overwhelm the users. less features makes it easier for beginners to use. this doesn't mean that they are not available, they are just not shown. KDE is the opposite as you will have a lot of features, settings, options all in GUI. but to some there is too much of that stuff.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Since the OP of this thread is the same individual as the OP of this earlier one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2255603

Since that thread went around in circles without the OP taking note of what others were saying, there doesn’t seem to be much point in keeping this thread going.

Thanks to all for contributing and for your patience.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.