Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Got a new project today, a Acer AspireOne, Single core Atom@1.6, 1G of ram and 120G hdd.

I really like putting xubuntu on everything Will the Atom processor do the job?
    I run Fedora 20 on one with similar specs. Runs fine.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Xubuntu 13.10 on DellDimension 2400 P4 2.2GHz 768 MB GeForce 6200
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Got a new project today, a Acer AspireOne, Single core Atom@1.6, 1G of ram and 120G hdd.

I really like putting xubuntu on everything Will the Atom processor do the job?
    Lubuntu would be faster on that type of hardwares. Your laptop will have even more breath for multitasking. It's a pretty OS for low-end laptop and older computers.

I installed Lubuntu 13.10 on a Intel Pentium 4 1.8 ghz, 1 GB RAM and 80gig Hard Drive and it's lightning fast, really. The PC boot in about 20 seconds and shut in less than 10.

Lubuntu 14.04 LTS is coming up April 17th.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; March 28th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

My happiness is huge to the point that I can't have it all, must share it

I have successfully convinced 40 people in Real Life to migrate to GNU/Linux
    40 Machines are happily running/breathing Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME
    And, more to come ...

My Record.

Thank you!

Beans

Re: 40

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

My happiness is huge to the point that I can't have it all, must share it

I have successfully convinced 40 people in Real Life to migrate to GNU/Linux
    40 Machines are happily running/breathing Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME
    And, more to come ...

My Record.

Thank you!
    I can't bear to see that there are still people coming to this forum asking for advice to set up dual boot with XP, maybe you can perform your art of persuasion here when you are not too busy setting up Lubuntu physically

Beans

Windows refugee here, I had Xp installed but as support is finished and my desktop is a 2x Intel core 2 CPU 6320@ 1.86 ghz and 1 GB ram I played around with linux once or twice, Mint 13, Unbuntu And Zorin one day I was looking at some youtube video and saw a clip called puppy linux, Seemed ok to me so I looked into it as it was only a 200 mb download I gave it a go, I loved it so much I installed it to HDD getting rid of XP for ever, I now use it daily on my desktop to surf the net and email as it boots fast.

Then I got a laptop.
    Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz 4Gb Ram.

And decided to try Unbuntu 12 lts on it then Zorin lts, Both were cool, But being the type that loves eyecandy I wanted to "tweak" both the distros ( oh yes they were installed to a 32 GB USB each and I could boot my laptop from USB ( hey this is great for a point and click Windows user) Anyway, While trying to "tweak" the settings I found Kubuntu, Oh yeah, I installed it to 32 GB usb and played with it for about 3 months ( breaking it everyother day and reinstalling it) Then I found Virtual Machine. So I pulled the Hard Drive out of my new laptop and put a old 120 GB one in ( storing my 500GB with windows on it in a safe place), Next I installed puppy linux on the laptop then Virtual Machine then Kubuntu on VM, I still broke Kubuntu but now no more Installs ( thank you snapshots) I finally figured out how to "tweak" the settings and eyecandy the way I wanted, Messed with DK's IP Tables that kinda thing, you get the idea?
    I was so happy with the end result I got a new 500GB 2.5 inch Hitachi HDD put it in the laptop and installed Kubuntu and set it up the way I wanted installed heaps of games apps wallpapers etc. I am now Windows free, I have 2 Pc's both Linux.

Now to my point... I think.
    None of this was easy, But, It wasnt that hard, I read a lot of stuff on forums including this 1, Googled a lot, And wait for it, Youtubed a lot of stuff, Yes I went to Youtube and searched Tweak Unbuntu ( love Nixie Pixel ) seeing the stuff done made it easier, Plus looking at Nixie wasnt that bad too...LOL. I love Linux, I now hate Windows and all the expense malware and stuff that comes along with being a Windowsite.
    If I can do it so can YOU forget about XP download a Linux distro and try it as a live first then install it to USB and boot from that for a bit, You will be like me, You will DELETE Windows for ever.
    Join a forum like this read a lot google youtube, Ask questions.

Remember There are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes.

@ People answering Novices questions.
    When answering a question be as specific as you can do not assume that a user knows what put it in /usr/src. means.
    or

‘cd’ to the directory or type ‘sh ./configure ...type where?

Remember we are Novices

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums WogBoy

and thanks for sharing your experience

Beans

Well, you might be less safe on XP, but at least you can use usb-wifi.... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...569&p=12979964.
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 40

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I can't bear to see that there are still people coming to this forum asking for advice to set up dual boot with XP, maybe you can perform your art of persuasion here when you are not too busy setting up Lubuntu physically
    Hi and thank for posting

If after all what has been written everywhere on the Internet about Windows XP reached its EOL and there are some people who are insisting to use it and ignoring each and every advice, I must say that we should not really waste time to convince them. The answer is simple: because they do know for sure it is not right to use an outdated version of Microsoft Windows XP but they care less, that is why they're insisting to use Windows XP. They don't care whether this is harmful or not.

If they're doing that because they're not aware of the downside of this action, it means those people never ever 'read' anything for the last 6 months or more, almost every day, I see tons of articles about Windows XP reaching its EOL. Unless someone is living without Internet, everyone must be aware by now.

Those who refuse to listen were not the target of this project from the first day of StartUbuntu. We would rather put our time and efforts with those who might listen than those who refuse to listen.

I used to spend tons of time here and give a high quality support:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1812877

Sadly, my so many projects and roles are pushing me away from doing this
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad#Summary_of_my_Roles

Who knows? maybe if I retire from all these roles, I might be back here to provide support

But really, Dual-Booting Windows XP and any other system?
    I'd highly recommend that we should be extra clear to any user asking for help about a solid fact: Windows XP is dead.
    We should remind them of this fact before anything else.

I don't know whether it is good idea to help them or not? I mean to guide them through how to dual boot with Windows XP. I guess this is wrong. But that is just me

Beans

I'm 64, female, educated and retired. I am your target group.

Girls read directions.
    Retired folks have the time to learn new stuff.
    My generation fixed stuff, instead of buying new. I ran to the corner tube tester shop, in the 50's, so my Daddy could tell which tv tube was bad.

I've been dabbling with Linux for a long time. Mostly on really bad hardware. Had a Compaq 2100 as a kitchen computer til the keyboard crapped out. But it was a toy to play with, and I never got much past sudo apt-get.

Until Micro$oft pulled the plug on my beloved Dimension 2350. I just couldn't let it go. Lubuntu runs better on it than XP ever did, and, with all the free time I have, I'm gonna really learn linux. And spread the word.

I'm working on 3 XP friends.

Friend #1 is an adorable old codger who thinks he's smarter than hackers, and can run XP, safely. Not much hope there. Wish I could let him see how much better Lubuntu runs on crappy old hardware, but we're on different coasts.

Friend #2 doesn't understand the danger, is too busy... I'll get him, yet.

Friend #3 said "XP in my opinion was the best..I hated to see that one go..Right now I'm using Google Chrome..and so far, it is pretty good." She's the one that I really worry about.

So what do I tell these folks? #1 and #2 are perfectly capable of upgrading to Lubuntu. Just praying for #3

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast