Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

The One Button Installer is a shortcut for installing into old hardware with low RAM, where the ordinary installers have problems. Try it if you haven't done it yet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The One Button Installer is a shortcut for installing into old hardware with low RAM, where the ordinary installers have problems. Try it if you haven't done it yet
    We know - you've already said that in this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I'll give it a whirl later on .. but my point is .. for a noob ...we loose them right there. It's better to have a Lubuntu Live image on a 2GB pen drive. Works anywhere I mean .. for me .. it was very convincing , however, I haven't tried it on clients. I find it better to try and explain Ubuntu Linux through Lucid.

Thanks for the link!

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    That goes without saying. But many people are on Windows not necessary because they *want* to stay with Windows, just because it comes with their computers.
    +1

The man who had done it just for fun and he wasn't so serious, he has mentioned a very important point, IMHO. Here is what he said. I'm sure Linus, if he really wants, he can do something about it but as far as I can tell, I don't think he cares that much but that is just a guess. Or, my guess could be totally wrong and he had already tried that but it might be too hard to achieve - this is a totally different story so I prefer not to go for that.

I think those are the people the campaign targets.
    Basically, this campaign should not target Windows XP Users ONLY. However, as I have mentioned many times before, because and only because Windows XP support (AKA EOL) will come very soon (April 2014 - same month of releasing 14.04 LTS), the whole focus may seem towards Windows XP
    I hope this is clear enough. In fact, we have to focus on that and once we achieve what we are looking for, it would be easier then to approach others with Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    IMHO, at that time, we don't really have to do anything I am sure Windows XP Users who migrated to Linux, will do that after they will see what Linux is capable of.

My question to amjjwad is that perhaps not too many people like that are still on XP unless they have pre vista hardware and some of which would be painful to run current versions of Ubuntu (Ram is part of it, but also unsupported graphic drivers and kernel dropping support for old hardware etc)
    I have met, seen and talked to people with newer hardware which can support eve Windows 7 but they insist to use Windows XP. Those would be the hardest group of people to approach. They don't even update their system. How many are they? I have no idea. Yes, they most likely are using Cracked/illegal version of Windows XP.

I am not saying we should convert each and everyone to Linux. This is just non-sense. This is not the mission of this campaign. The mission of this campaign is to reach to as many Windows XP Users (mainly) as possible and if successful, we would also approach others who are using Windows 7 or 8.

For me? I am not doing this for 99% success. If you ask me? I would be very glad and happy if we could achieve even 10%. Simply, because those 10% can convert others and so on. There are many types of users:

1- Users who haven't heard, seen nor tried Linux on their entire life at all.

2- Users who haven't install Linux despite the fact they have seen it. They just think it is too complicated for them.

3- Users who have tried and install Linux but still keeping Windows XP as a Dual-Boot (for example) for whatever reason

4- Users who don't care what system they have, they just want something to work and that is all.

IMHO, above are the main 4 categories of users that exist in the world.

What StartUbuntu is targeting?

#1 and #2 and #4

#3 they already have Linux so no need to waste time nor energy with them. They know what Linux is.

#4 most likely have less experience (in general) with Computers - why would someone still insist to run unsupported or old version while there are tons of other alternatives? unless he/she has less general knowledge of computers. And, if they do have the basic experience, they just refuse to switch or even upgrade for whatever reason they have in mind. Those category is the toughest. That is why, if there is a failure ratio in StartUbuntu campaign, it might be because of this category.

#1 and #2 are easy target IMHO (easy to convert but we may need extra efforts, especially for #1).

#2 are the easiest group to be converted. They just need to make sure someone will take them under their wings and that is all. Most of them are scared from Terminal, etc.

I have made some recommendations for friends etc, but I don't target specially Windows XP users (I have had some success in switching people from Vista to Lubuntu, but I don't really know anyone still on XP, except my brother, but he uses it for very special reasons, and a few people with hardware so old that I wouldn't even bother).
    Exactly, and there are many just like your brother

How old these machines are???

It is actually easier than you think to get people off Windows, many have $ would easily switch to Mac even though they don't use it for anything special.
    I won't even bother with those people. They have money and they are ready to buy anything just because their friends got that very expensive device so they want to do the same. How did I know? I have seen so many with my very eyes. So, StartUbuntu should not really bother with them. Even though it is not bad idea but we are simply not going to knock on each and every door, we are spreading the word and whoever will see that on the internet or real life, he/she is more than welcome to join

The problem with Linux is that they have to install it themselves or someone (like me) would have to install it for them, and it is not always easy to find people who know how to support Linux in their vicinity, so, if they can't afford a Mac they would just upgrade Windows or buy a new Windows machine.
    Yes and No.
    I have indeed took that into consideration but you have missed a very important point. We are in 2013 and now in 1994. I mean, the internet is FULL of HOWTOs, Guides, YouTubes, etc. It is very easy to find so many resources which can help you even if you haven't seen Linux before. Well, if they are too lazy to even google, then this is their problem as no one will come and feed them they need to feed themselves. We will show them the way, the rest is up to them and we are ready to help as much as we can.

And, those who can't afford a Mac and might just upgrade Windows, are possibly the same people who might go for Linux for the exact same reason!

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    The bulk of XP hold-outs are those companies that didn't want the expense of upgrading and licensing a new OS for multiply computers. I used to support a few law firms and they would put a paralegal behind anything that would still boot and run WordPerfect. The only part of my previous business that I still support is the real estate appraisal part. These computers run software that won't port to Linux. Most of these computers are updates that can easily run Win 7 or 8. They upgraded their hardware as needed and continued to use their XP Pro license. There have been times that some of these businesses would have been open to a Linux conversion but without the software it's a dead deal. Oddly, many of these programs in question are narrow in scope such as "Appraise-it" and could easily be ported to Linux. Somehow there has to be a wholesale demand for the conversion and porting. Most companies that use Linux on a large scale have used their own corporate programmers to create what we use today. That is what we need more of for Linux to move forward, corporate intervention. It is possible that the next few releases of Ubuntu will be sophisticated enought to attract that intervention. Even Saucy running x-mir beats anything that I have ever used.
    This is a different story if you ask me.
    StartUbuntu is focusing on Users not Companies at this stage.

Companies, usually, they do know exactly what they want and what they need to do. No company in this world that want to spend so much money unless they really have to.

I will leave converting companies to Canonical
    Let's worry about the users first.

However, there are many companies are migrating. I have two friends and both confirmed to me that their different companies have migrated to Kubuntu. What I am trying to say here is, business wise and companies, they do know about Linux in most cases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I recently tried to convert two senior users to Ubuntu. The clients are the age group of 65-70. Hours and hours of tutoring (free) and there is no way I could get them to even try to understand Ubuntu Operating system. A large percentage of seniors in North America (and clients that I know) like to play Pogo Games online. That takes Java. Ubuntu has Java in the USC but it is really hard to get it stable. One little burp or glitch and they (potential Ubuntu converts) want nothing to do with Ubuntu, but, they are willing to sign over their machines to Java running on Vista or 7 with all of it's known malware.

I have had greater success tutoring Ubuntu to women in the field of Education. They just love it. (Ubuntu).

The bottom line is that if an end_user is not willing to learn or spend some time reading up, doing searches or is enthusiastic about learning Ubuntu - then - forget it. It is just not going to happen. And it's not about teaching old dogs new tricks either. It is just that some end_users become so ingrained following one set of commands for so long that it is almost like learning a new language when trying to convert to a different OS.

However .. with the economy the way it is and the XP eol on the doorstep, perhaps people will be more willing to give Ubuntu a spin. I still do installs of Lucid for people. The repos are still open as is the USC although there are not any new security updates (like really this matters eh - I have Lucid Installs that haven't even hiccuped since the original install).

Also for senior users (or potential converts) is that they are shy (or scared) of how Unity works. It confuses them right off and if they see an error pop-up after a re-boot they immediately get frustrated and impatient with it. It is because of this required learning curve that I am wary of who I will spend time teaching Ubuntu to in the field.

Personally I have had tremendous success with Ubuntu but when taking up new converts I have to give myself a reality check and ask myself how much time I have to babysit those installs. In Ubuntu's favor the help data base is so vast that it is relatively easy to solve big problems. I think one of the core philosophies of Ubuntu concept is that we have to give it away to keep it...and so I do and I will.

..also .. on a side note .. this WinXP eol situation is an opportunity for Canonical to really get out there and hone their marketing skills . It could be the big paradigm that will level the playing field.

Regards...
    I am not going to repeat what I have already posted but just few points:

1- This is a community campaign not Canonical one.
    2- This is not only about Ubuntu, we are talking about 8 alternatives (Ubuntu and all its official flavours - depends on what the user needs).
    3- StartUbuntu is not looking for 100% success. If 1 out of 1000 users will be converted and migrated to Linux, this is a huge success. Spreading the word of Linux deserves more and more IMHO.

Anyway, I am aware of what you have mentioned for old people, etc.
    Thanks for sharing and let's see what will happen from now until April, 2014

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I'll give it a whirl later on .. but my point is .. for a noob ...we loose them right there. It's better to have a Lubuntu Live image on a 2GB pen drive. Works anywhere I mean .. for me .. it was very convincing , however, I haven't tried it on clients. I find it better to try and explain Ubuntu Linux through Lucid.

Thanks for the link!

Regards..
    That is certainly a possibility too. Would you prefer a regular live desktop install iso image, a 'persistent live' or an 'installed system'? If you mean 'installed system' there is one for a 4GB pendrive here, that you can flash directly without any installer -- flash in the same way as you flash the system for a mobile phone! But it is not as flexible as the OBI, that uses the whole device (HDD, SSD, USB pendrive, flash memory).

The regular live desktop install iso image is best with a cheap and slow USB pendrive because it uses ramdisk (at least when there is a reasonable amount of RAM). See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That is certainly a possibility too. Would you prefer a regular live desktop install iso image, a 'persistent live' or an 'installed system'? If you mean 'installed system' there is one for a 4GB pendrive here, that you can flash directly without any installer -- flash in the same way as you flash the system for a mobile phone! But it is not as flexible as the OBI, that uses the whole device (HDD, SSD, USB pendrive, flash memory).

The regular live desktop install iso image is best with a cheap and slow USB pendrive because it uses ramdisk (at least when there is a reasonable amount of RAM). See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites
    Hi my friend,

I'd appreciate if we could please stick to the subject of this thread and not go off-topic, if I may ask you that

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi my friend,

I'd appreciate if we could please stick to the subject of this thread and not go off-topic, if I may ask you that

Thank you!
    But that question to ventrical is asking what kind of live image he wants to use to convince people about the advantages of linux.

It's better to have a Lubuntu Live image on a 2GB pen drive. Works anywhere I mean .. for me .. it was very convincing
    I know that he knows enough to make his own systems.

-o-

What about you amjjawad? Have you considered some kind of demo system? What should be offered to the Windows XP user, and how should it be presented?
    Last edited by sudodus; September 20th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Yes and No.
    I have indeed took that into consideration but you have missed a very important point. We are in 2013 and now in 1994. I mean, the internet is FULL of HOWTOs, Guides, YouTubes, etc. It is very easy to find so many resources which can help you even if you haven't seen Linux before. Well, if they are too lazy to even google, then this is their problem as no one will come and feed them they need to feed themselves. We will show them the way, the rest is up to them and we are ready to help as much as we can.
    Well this is a main point. Windows (and Mac) users by and large do expect to be spoon fed,--or better you chew and eat for them,--they don't want to have to do things themselves by reading Howtos and guides etc. Many people are just intimidated by technical stuffs, they want to be able to use a computer and then forget about it. I know countless such people (in fact most computer users I know fall into this category) I have a friend who just got a well paid job on some tech support desk which serves customers over the phone, he says all he does is sitting on his a$$ all day googling and then speak to his clients in an authoritative voice as if he is an expert.

I won't even bother with those people. They have money and they are ready to buy anything just because their friends got that very expensive device so they want to do the same. How did I know? I have seen so many with my very eyes. So, StartUbuntu should not really bother with them. Even though it is not bad idea but we are simply not going to knock on each and every door, we are spreading the word and whoever will see that on the internet or real life, he/she is more than welcome to join
    My point was simply that many people did not "choose" Windows, there is no brand loyalty to MicroSoft for many average users, that was responding to aysiu that people choose to stay with Windows, most time there is no choice involved, many would choose a Mac if they could afford it (or even Linux if tech support is available.)

Exactly, and there are many just like your brother

How old these machines are???
    He has some very old finger print reading software which he had paid a lot for and had gone out of business for almost as long as Ubuntu has been around. It runs only on XP (not even Winodws 7 compat mode, not sure about vbox). There may be a Linux equivalent but I don't know these kind of software, he googled and found some tarball (also very old) which he thought would be similar, but I couldn't get it to compile because it requires very old libraries that are no longer supported (except maybe on Centos or something like that). His computer is very new and powerful though, I have booted Ubuntu 12.04 off an external drive and holy smoke, it is lighting fast. So hardware no problem, he just doesn't want to switch. It is a new machine but his desktop and wall paper looks like 1980.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 20th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast