Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Sudo says:
    Maybe you can install (and test) teamviewer or some other software for easy access remotely. But a friend who can be there is the best solution.[/QUOTE]

I looked here, and maybe this could be the answer: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
    says: Remote Administration – 24/7 access to remote computers and servers

OK, it infers that the target machine must be on hand ? correct ?
    And, any experience with it ?
    (as opposed to me phoning on Skype to a landline.)
    gracias, Allen
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Yes, I have used Teamviewer (not only tested locally, but also used it over a long distance helping a friend via the internet). I have not used it many times, but I know that it works. The friend at the other end must start Teamviewer and give a code for the connection.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 12th, 2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typing error much --> must

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Update:

12 Machines have been converted to Linux as of today:

Machine 1 = lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 2 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 3 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 4 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 5 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 6 = Xubuntu 12.4.3
    Machine 7 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 8 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 9 = Xubuntu 12.04.4
    Machine 10 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 11 = SliTaz - Special Case
    Machine 12 = Lubuntu 13.10

Xubuntu = 7/12
    Lubuntu = 4/12
    SliTaz = 1/12

ALL are very old machine except one Core i3 first generation with 3GB RAM which got Xubuntu 12.04.3

Thank you

P.S.
    These are Real Life activities, NOT Online. I am doing the installations and everything myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Something to keep in mind - the notebook computers from 2002-2004 (Dell, Thinkpad, etc.) that came with Pentium-M (low-power version of the Pentium 3) processors have a bug that will not allow them to boot the 386-PAE kernel (at least not without some command-line alterations to ignore the PAE flag). The last Ubuntu version to support non-PAE processors is 12.04, which will be replaced by 14.04 as I understand it. I am currently looking at Mint Linux Debian Edition, which still uses Debian's i386 kernel to support these old single-core processors. Other than the kernel issue for newer versions, Ubuntu 12.04 is still quite usable on my 1.4 Ghz Pentium-M with 2 Gb RAM & Nvidia GTX 5200 video card with 32 Mb VRAM.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.28

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Something to keep in mind - the notebook computers from 2002-2004 (Dell, Thinkpad, etc.) that came with Pentium-M (low-power version of the Pentium 3) processors have a bug that will not allow them to boot the 386-PAE kernel (at least not without some command-line alterations to ignore the PAE flag). The last Ubuntu version to support non-PAE processors is 12.04, which will be replaced by 14.04 as I understand it. I am currently looking at Mint Linux Debian Edition, which still uses Debian's i386 kernel to support these old single-core processors. Other than the kernel issue for newer versions, Ubuntu 12.04 is still quite usable on my 1.4 Ghz Pentium-M with 2 Gb RAM & Nvidia GTX 5200 video card with 32 Mb VRAM.
    There is a way to get those 'command-line alterations' automatically with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I forgot to update the list. 13 Laptop has been converted to Linux

This time, Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 - machine is Toshiba Core i5 1st generation with 3GB RAM. Worked like a charm!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I am very happy reading your post
    And I am happy to see you here, my good friend

I'm also helping friends and neighbours.
    That is great news, keep it up

Thanks for the tip about list of the names, addresses and the hardware of my neighbours and their phone numbers, to know when to contact them for upgrades!
    You most welcome
    The most important note/information of all is the system that I have installed. It does not really matter what hardware that user has, what does matter is the system I installed.

I can't hide it. I am worried about those installations of Lubuntu 13.10 - remember the nasty zRAM bug? - I just hope when they will update their system via the GUI, they won't break it.
    As for 'Upgrading', I think I will send them the command and ask them to run it on Terminal with Screenshots and everything and if I have to, chat with them on Skype, Google Hangout or make a video on YouTube. In fact, it should NOT be hard at all. While they are very new and fresh users to Linux, they don't call or contact me much due to the fact that all of them are super busy and they don't have time to break their system I really hope that.

Maybe you can install (and test) teamviewer or some other software for easy access remotely. But a friend who can be there is the best solution.
    The user I installed Lubuntu 13.10 for her on ASUS Eee Laptop (it is a mini laptop), she arrived to Malta and sent me a message on facebook. She forgot how to connect to the Wireless Network. With few instructions, she managed to do it in few seconds so I am glad that wasn't a big deal. However, she will give that laptop to her father. When she will come back, he will be alone so hope that friend of mine in Malta could be helpful, just in case

By the way, the 13 machines I have converted to Linux are not the only machines I have come across. I had to deal with few 'dead' machines and had to deal with ... I guess 3 Windows machines that I didn't convert. Two their users didn't want to make the switch (one said he will call but never did) and the other wasn't interested even for a Dual-Boot. The 3rd Windows Machine had Windows 8 :/ that was my very first time I 'see' Windows 8 and I hated my life that day.

There are many who said they will call after the new year so I am waiting.

I am not sure if I will mange to hit 20 before the end of this year but I will do my best next year to at least convert minimum of 10 per month.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

As of today, 15 Machines have been converted to Linux as of today:

Machine 1 = lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 2 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 3 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 4 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 5 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 6 = Xubuntu 12.4.3
    Machine 7 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 8 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 9 = Xubuntu 12.04.4
    Machine 10 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 11 = SliTaz GNU/Linux - Special Case
    Machine 12 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 13 = Ubuntu GNOME 13.10
    Machine 14 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 15 = Xubuntu 12.04.3

#Xubuntu = 8/15
    #Lubuntu = 5/15
    #Ubuntu_GNOME = 1/15
    #SliTaz = 1/15

I hope I could find 5 more to convert before the new year

On a side note, Merry Christmas and hope we will convert as many Windows XP users as possible
    The 15th laptop 'had' Windows XP and now, it is breathing Xubuntu!

What about you? are you converting people in real life?

I have started in Oct as far as I remember but Oct had very few. Nov and Dec had more laptops to convert. The more I convert, the more people start to be interested. It is not an easy mission to convert the whole neighbourhood which has around 4000 people or more and as you know, some of them have more than one machine. One of them gave me 5 different laptops, all have been converted to Linux.

I think the best way to reach to even more people is by some video. I am thinking to create videos and upload them to YouTube and share it on our Facebook Group where all the neighbours meet on social media.

Beans

I'm new to Ubuntu, but I can attempt to help

I think the project should focus on things like...

Do you love using ____ on your current computer? Well, you'll love (insert same or similar application here) just as much (or more)!

People that I know are afraid to switch to newer machines because of compatibility reasons, and the reason of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". There needs to be a really convincing way to at least make people want to try using a new os. Maybe a way of "trying" would help ease some converters...like a known volunteer install person who will install the os for free and provide free support when needed. Also, there should be a stress on the word FREE

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast