Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    But that question to ventrical is asking what kind of live image he wants to use to convince people about the advantages of ...
    I just use the persitive option from SDC while installing the iso to pendrive. Lubuntu has always been fast, furious and to the point. It will work on any machine with a USB port or you can boot from a live CD. This of course for legacy machines.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I just use the persitive option from SDC while installing the iso to pendrive. Lubuntu has always been fast, furious and to the point. It will work on any machine with a USB port or you can boot from a live CD. This of course for legacy machines.
    So your experience is that a persistent live standard USB 2 pendrive performs well enough to convince people. That's great, because such pendrives are quite cheap today

I'm thinking aloud now: What tweaks would make such a pendrive more attractive? That makes it worthwhile to use persistence although it makes the pendrive slower compared to a standard live USB drive?

- touchpad-indicator (for laptops and netbooks)
    - ubuntu-tweak

Or is the persistence impressive enough?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I know quite a few people still using XP. In the internet cafes they are all XPs.
    Yes, is a scary world out there. Some of these workstations are not even up to date whit service packs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I'm thinking aloud now: What tweaks would make such a pendrive more attractive? That makes it worthwhile to use persistence although it makes the pendrive slower compared to a standard live USB drive?
    most people would likely want to see if You tube works well and also if they can play movie and mp3 music. so restricted extras on that persistance might be a good idea.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    most people would likely want to see if You tube works well and also if they can play movie and mp3 music. so restricted extras on that persistance might be a good idea.
    Yes, is a good idea to add restricted extra

Beans

To celebrate the end ox windows xp , i made a Countdown . It would be a great idea to make a simple site, with a countdown to the end of xp and some explanation to switch to ubuntu .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is great !!!!
    good going, hope this gets around!
    Quote Originally Posted by MRubunt View Post
    To celebrate the end ox windows xp , i made a Countdown . It would be a great idea to make a simple site, with a countdown to the end of xp and some explanation to switch to ubuntu .
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MRubunt View Post
    Hi,

This is very nice, thank you

But is there a simple yet nice one that we could use it on our websites/blogs/etc ? can you do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Believe me, I know a lot of people who are still on Windows XP and who are very stubborn about that April 8th, 2014 date as if it is still months away and that there is still plenty of time to Either Upgrade to something like Windows 7 or replace the computer entirely with a Windows 8.1 OEM Computer. Never mind the fact that OEM's like Dell and HP are still allowed to sell Original Windows 8 alongside Windows 8.1 because Windows 8.1 is a free update for Windows 8 users. That's the reason why I decided to go back to running Ubuntu 24/7/365. I don't like NON-UP-TO-DATE OEM's.
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I use Pen Drive as we'll. I occasionally have to switch back to Windows 8.1 to update my Apple IPhone 5S or to Update the UEFI Firmware, which is updated using a .exe so I update my Pen Drive with the latest Ubuntu Nightly Build at the same time.
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast