Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I have converted only a few for friends, usually older laptops which I put lubuntu on, except for one with enough power to run Ubuntu.

Instead of convert as many as possible that come my way I try to focus on quality instead. I take my time to optimize the systems for the best performance so I do quite a bit of testings and tweakings before I deliever the laptops, sometimes takes days or even weeks. I figure I am playing the OEM here, Windows works mostly smoothly because the OEMS have done the optimization and testing (at least in theory), I would like to offer comparable experience for those I install Ubuntu for, so I am very thorough about testing and implementing work arounds if things don't work out of the box. A lot of the tweaks would be quite beyond new users. But then I still miss things like the lubuntu update notifier bug because I use synaptic to manual update and I don't use lubuntu myself.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 16th, 2014 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

In fact I have succesfully transferred a couple of "old" PCs to Xubuntu. Whereas in XP they virtually were useless (fire-up, return 30 minutes later) now they are performing very well and are excellent for day-to-day use as browsing the internet and writing a document.

Here are the specs of the 2 PCs

1. AMD Athlon Barton core 2800+ (running at 2250 Mhz), with 1 GB of memory (entry into service around 2003- selfbuilt)
    2. Intel pentium III @866 Mhz with 384 Mb memory (entry into service around 2000- compaq)

The oldest PC still going strong in my home network is a PC originally equiped with windows 98, it is an original pentium 133 Mhz with a whopping 48 Mb of ram which entered into service in 1996 (Gateway2000). It runs as a fileserver and backup webserver on Linux Mandrake.

By the way, and I am writing this from Africa, poor people do not need the old stuff which is no good anymore in the developed world, that applies for clothes but also for e-waste. The 4g was rolled out in my hometown well before many cities in other parts of the world just to give an example. So thanks but no thanks for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I noticed that support for XP was dropping a while back and I didn't have the budget for Windows 7, so after some playing around I put Xubuntu 14.04 on my Asus EeePC 900HA and it's running great! At this point I can't even believe I considered putting Windows on this laptop again.

Beans

Just did an install on a Toshiba laptop for a lady who is tired of shopathome and coupon.com crap on her Windows 7.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

You really want to read this

China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on government computers:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A4J07Q20140520

Orginally shared by: http://www.webupd8.org/
    I have seen that on Facebook

Time to spread the word of StartUbuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

OBI-9w

Hi amjjawad and everybody else interested in an installer for very old computers,

There is a new and special version of the 9w installer, the OBI-9w installer.

This version is made for very old computers without PAE capability. The One Button Installer is run from the 9w installer's debian system. Now
    there is a super light-weight installer, that can

- install from CD, DVD and USB
    - create not only single boot but also dual boot systems.

Prepare partitions with Gparted and run the One Button Installer at the advanced level to create dual boot or multi boot system.

There are special tarballs for the 9w installer, and these tarballs come with the iso file. Right now I have only uploaded one iso file of the
    OBI-9w installer. It contains a mini.iso version of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with phillw's non-pae kernel.

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9...24-text-9w.iso

After installation you can easily build Lubuntu, Lubuntu Core, Ubuntu Server or a custom system with your selection of packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi all,

I can't stop thinking about this article:
    http://www.zdnet.com/why-microsoft-l...ux-7000035218/

Kidding a side, I have a feeling that one day, Microsoft Windows will be just another GNU/Linux Distribution
    With all due respect to Microsoft and for whatever they did to the software and computer world, one has to admit that Linux rules the world and the rest come behind. Time will tell

Happy reading!

P.S.
    I am working on proposing a session in UOS 1411 (less than 2 weeks from today) for StartUbuntu and I have a surprise for you not really a surprise, let's say good news and yes, it is about StartUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Hi everyone,

My apology for the short notice. I'd like to invite you to attend:
    http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1411/me...ntu-next-step/

And share your ideas here. I am interested to know what are you thinking? what do you have in mind? etc
    Feel free to join StartUbuntu mailing list

I shall make an announcement on that session

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello, amjjawad.

I've been reading this thread with interest the last couple of hours! I have to confess to being absolutely amazed at the attitude of John McCourt in the very first reply to your thread - post#2. It may be alright for some people to throw away & buy new every couple of years (indeed, each successive offering from MicroSoft has more or less mandated such action), but I think some people are talking out of their backsides...

I've been using the 'buntus since May, having decided that nearly 13 years of XP was enough for anybody; yes, I liked it, but with EOL having passed, I felt I was ready for something different. John McCourt's assertion that the (then) current version of Ubuntu - which by my calculations would have been 13.04 - not being capable of running on XP machines has, perhaps, a shred of truth in it, if you take Ubuntu itself as the case in point. Unity, with its requirement for 3D acceleration, isn't really suitable for some of them, it's true....but this isn't the case for all, by a wide margin.

Case in point: I myself run 2 elderly machines. I was gifted a Compaq Presario desktop PC from my sister, back in January. It was running XP, EOL was fast approaching, and like so many non technically-minded people, she bought herself a new one with Win 7 preinstalled. I ran it till May, when I migrated to Ubuntu (I made the decision in less than 48 hrs!) I tried it out via Wubi; thought, "I like the look of this...", and wiped XP out of my life for good, and installed 14.04 in its place.

The Compaq has the amazing Athlon 64; the first commercially available CPU to natively run both 32- & 64-bit applications. It was the Pentium 4's direct competitor in the marketplace at the time; the machine dates from late 2005, and came with 1 GB RAM as standard, and a WD Caviar 'Black' HDD of 160 GB capacity; a fairly 'high-end' system for its day. My sister only used it for shopping on E-Bay & Amazon, and playing The Sims.....it had a very easy life! I've since uprated that to 3 GB, and will soon be increasing to 4 GB (I've got to replace the two 512MB sticks with 1 GB sticks, to get the extra 1 GB, and am limited to 4 GB by virtue of having DDR1 slots). The ATI Xpress200 integrated graphics chip copes with 14.04 without a murmur, and boot-up times are in the order of 45 seconds or so; impressive, compared to the 5+ minutes needed for XP.

I've just discovered the latest version of Puppy Linux; 'Tahrpup' 6.0. I tried out this little gem about a fortnight ago; my God, what a revelation...! With my current set-up, boot-up times are, well.....'quick' is an understatement. It runs from a flash drive, this being the way Puppy has worked for years, and it runs entirely in RAM, the installed size being somewhere in the region of 160 MB. I timed it from selecting 'Boot from USB', to the desktop being up-and-running this morning; 14 seconds..... Say 20-25 from powering up to being ready to use.....that IS impressive!

I've no sooner clicked on, say, Chrome's icon on the desktop, than it's open and ready. The same goes for every application I've got installed, plus all the pre-installed stuff that comes with Puppy as standard; how they get nearly 200 apps into 160MB I will NEVER know.....but the net result is an OS/machine combination that will beat the pants off just about anything else on the market for speed & responsiveness; including some very high-end stuff. It'll do everything I want it to; browsing, word processing, and a lot of graphics stuff......I've had an interest in graphic design for over 30 years. I run the GIMP, LibreCAD, Blender, and a little-known Windows app called PhotoScape, which I've not been able to find a direct equivalent to in Linux; this runs in Wine, version 1.7.32. So it's hardly 'lightweight', as far as features go; and it's the fastest setup I've ever found.....faster than my brother's top-end iMac, and my Mum's 3-yr old Dell Inspiron 15R, with a quad-core i5 & 6 GB of DDR3, plus a 750 GB HDD.

Now why on EARTH would I want to throw that away?

************************************************** *************************************

I have an even older Dell Inspiron laptop; an original 1100, from 2002-3. OK, it's a 'brick'; the battery pack alone weighs more than a MacBook 'Air'.....but it still works perfectly, and has the nicest keyboard & touchpad I've ever come across in ANY laptop. It came with just 128 MB RAM, and a 20GB Hitachi Travelstar HDD, along with a Netburst-generation Celeron processor.....and running XP. It used to take nearly 10 minutes to boot-up! It now has 1 GB of RAM, and an 80 GB HDD.

I've installed 'Tahrpup' into a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 'nano' flash drive, which I leave permanently plugged into one of the 2 USB 2.0s on the back; the other is occupied by a TP-Link WN725N 'nano' wireless adapter. I now have another amazing system, which boots-up in about 40 seconds, and runs the same range of apps as the one on the Compaq. Before anybody asks, yes, you CAN install Puppy to the HDD, but it's not really recommended, as it was designed from the word go to run from a flashdrive for portability, and has been optimized for the kind of read/write speeds inherent in a flashdrive.....so I use the internal HDD purely for storage. It's been set-up for network printing, too.....so will print from the other 'Tahrpup' installation as the host.

And these kind of machines should be scrapped, or sent to the Third World as 'charity donations'?

Words fail me. If it ain't broke.....

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; November 14th, 2014 at 01:05 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I paraphrase:
    Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    there are other alternatives
    Lubuntu
    Xubuntu

Both work on old machines.

if Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu, etc will not work on that hardware, we do have Lubuntu and Xubuntu

On machines that have even less than 512MB RAM and yes, even on 256MB RAM, Lubuntu worked

Lubuntu 13.10 by default will be shipped with that option installed.
    Let's also not forget (without taking away from the 'buntus) that there are other distros of Linux. For example, Debian, even Raspian (designed specially for the Raspberry Pi, which has very small RAM, no HHD, a small processor - I think - and runs the OS off of an SD card as small as 4GB). There are many distros of Linux, and consequently Ubuntu, that require very little.

This is a great project, Windows sucks, and I don't see any problem with StartUbuntu.

Thank you, and goodnight!

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast