Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I didn't install Lubuntu because I thought it was missing my firmware, but found out later yesterday that Lubuntu had a nm-applet problem.
    I installed Xubuntu on my wife's netbook and it works like a charm. I installed Ubuntu on my netbook and it is working surprisingly good. I'm going to check it out later today and see how it is doing. I have 2 gigs of ram on that machine, will take a closer look later.

Beans

Here it is with Ubuntu 14.04 Unity

System: Host: karlton-Aspire-one Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
    Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire one version: V1.03 Bios: Acer version: V1.03 date: 04/13/2009
    CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
    Clock Speeds: 1: 1066.00 MHz 2: 1333.00 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.0
    Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
    Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
    IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:24:2c:39:9e:20
    Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c
    IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:23:5a:9a:24:5b
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (3.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB
    Partition: ID: / size: 62G used: 5.7G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 26.8C mobo: N/A
    Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info: Processes: 167 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 349.4/2006.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

3 tabs open, including Google Music, Google News, Yahoo News.http://imgur.com/DuPvqtA

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +46.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

I'll see what it looks like using Debian Wheezy as that's the other distro on this machine.

Last edited by KBD47; April 18th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Same computer, same tabs open with one tab streaming music just like with Ubuntu.
    Debian 7 Wheezy Gnome desktop.
    http://imgur.com/cP2hzkg

coretemp-isa-0000
    Core 0: +49.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

I would say the difference is negligible. 642 Ram use for Ubuntu Unity. 400 Ram use for Debian Wheezy Gnome. The CPU use was very close. Again, that was streaming music with 3 Chrome tabs open. I would say both these OS's feel good, fast and lightweight. Lubuntu or Xubuntu would be even faster.

Edit: OK I installed Xubuntu on the same model computer, except this one only had 1 gig instead of 2 gigs ram:
    http://imgur.com/Imsc4lz

coretemp-isa-0000
    Core 0: +41.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)

They all run great, ram use is very close between Xubuntu and Debian Wheezy. Temp was improved on Xubuntu.

Edit2: Lubuntu is pretty much the same outcome as Xubuntu:
    http://imgur.com/dnkfhk8

coretemp-isa-0000
    Core 0: +45.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)
    Last edited by KBD47; April 19th, 2014 at 06:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

So the core runs 3 degrees cooler with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    So the core runs 3 degrees cooler with Ubuntu.
    Yes, I wonder if the newer kernel in Ubuntu helps. Wheezy is using the 3.2 kernel.

Beans

you could try a backported kernel in debian, e.g. 3.13 here: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-b...-0.bpo.1-amd64

Beans

Good idea. It's just a few degrees, but if it gets intolerably hot I may do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

At our computer club meeting yesterday one of the guys brought in 5 old corporate laptops with WINXP on them. We played around with installing different Ubuntu variants to see how they would work (Ubuntu, Ubuntu gnome, xubuntu, lubuntu, mint, and Zoirn). Two laptops gave us problems as detailed below:

Dell inspirion Ubuntu 14.04 and no wireless notes from one of the guys email:

I'm giving up on any "straight" L/X/Ubuntu version on this Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. When I got home and fired it up I had no Ethernet connection. I thought something we tried by removing/installing things may have screwed something up so I wiped it and did a clean install using 14.04 (this time using 64-bit hoping it might make a difference). In live mode and during the install I had Ethernet and it was accessing the 'net to install updates. Upon rebooting, I had no network (wired or wireless). Argh! I did some Googling to find this was not that uncommon for this laptop and the Broadcom hardware. I tried a few things I found, but there was still no joy.

I have been screwing around for a few hours trying 14.04 both 32 and 64 and 13.10. All had the same problem. I had it working with Zorin, but after talking with Rob today about some stuff he's read I don't think that's the best choice. So, I decided to try Mint (13.10 base). After rebooting, I had wired networking like I did with Zorin yesterday. I applied the same fix I found yesterday (the same one we tried today that didn't cooperate in 14.04) and it worked.

This is the thread I found yesterday:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...141076&page=2&

All I had to do to get wireless working was
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    and reboot.

Mint is based on Ubuntu 13.10.

With Linux's track record for handling about any hardware you throw at it, it strikes me as really odd that this problem persists on hardware that has been around for so long. With all of the discussions (and fixes) documented in the forums, you would think it would have been fixed long ago. Oh well, at least it's working on what is reported to be the 4th most popular OS behind Windows, Mac and Ubuntu.

--------------

Acer Aspire 3680 and lubuntu 14.04, 2gs Ram.

Using live cd, at prompt to either install or try, took install option. Then, checked the box to download while installing. Expected the wireless prompt but it just hung at this point. Second time, went the "try it" process and then the install and proceeded as expected. However, upon the reboot after the install, the system was messed up, screen was half sized, wired mouse erratic etc. Started over with Ubuntu gnome and everything went fine and have a nice running system.
    Last edited by makitso; April 20th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eric13 View Post
    just wondering: are you using the default "nouveau" driver? Works fine withs TNT2? If yes, lucky you! And a pity that the TNT2 is better than a Geforce2 to 4 whose display is broken on Lubuntu 13.10 ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2168979 which refer to the bug with Nouveau drivers: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51477 )
    Hi! Excuse me for my late reply.

Well, this has been my very first installation, when I approached Linux' world on the last september... infact, the first trial I did has even been with Kubuntu 12.04!! I rapidly learnt what 'vesa' meant, the graphic was horrible... Then, I tried with Xubuntu 12.04, same problem, black screen or vesa (low screen resolution etc.).
    Finally, I tried with Lubuntu 13.10. After a quite problematic installation, Nouveau started! Right screen resolution, right colour depth etc.
    Curiously, Nouveau started after two actions:

- I phisically inverted the ram modules inside laptop's case

- I solved a problem with the installed wi-fi card (Marvell 8335) using ndiswrapper

After having done those things, Nouveau spontaneously started...

After this old computer, I installed Lubuntu 13.10 on another old pc (2004) we have at work, that was still running Windows 2000.
    Also there I found a Nvidia Riva TNT2, but no wifi card since it is connected to a phisical ethernet cable.
    The installation has worked fine from the beginning.

I'm using the latest available kernels (3.11.0-19-generic) for Lubuntu 13.10.

Rightly now I'm using that pc.

Then I tried with an Amilo L7320, but this is another story... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2207391)
    Last edited by stilnovo1; April 23rd, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Hi,

Me and my rusty memory ... I forgot to share this

http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01...onvert-my.html

No, I'm not yet done ... more on the way

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast